Development Services offers one-stop permit shopping for land and building development in Bellevue and the surrounding service areas. We review plans, inspect projects and investigate code violations. These services ensure that projects are safe and aligned with federal, state and city codes.
Permit Center Open
The Development Services Permit Center is open for in-person services 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. On Wednesday, in-person services are available 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. We will continue to provide all our services electronically, including accepting permit applications and plans. Our permitting process is completely paperless - customers can submit applications, upload plans and pay permit fees online at MyBuildingPermit.com. For a full list of other city services offered in-person, as well as service hours, please visit the city's COVID-19 page.
Virtual Permit Center Appointments
Development Services is offering virtual permit center meetings to allow customers to schedule one-on-one time with staff to receive assistance with general permitting questions. Customers can schedule virtual permit center meetings with permit technicians and plan reviewers to get answers to general permit questions. Visit the Virtual Permit Center page to learn more and book a virtual permit center appointment.
Update: Construction Following Reopening
The state Department of Labor and Industries has released Requirements & Guidance for Preventing COVID-19 effective June 30. Businesses in Washington now have fewer requirements related to employee protection from COVID-19. Additional Labor and Industries guidance is currently being reviewed and updated. When additional information is available, the Development Services Department will provide updated information regarding inspection needs and expectations in order for projects to receive the necessary inspections while protecting the health of Bellevue employees.
2018 Construction and Fire Codes
The 2018 Construction and Fire Codes went into effect on February 1, 2021. All permit applications submitted after January 31, 2021, must comply with the 2018 codes.
Visit our Building and Fire Codes page for information on all current codes.
Highlighted Development Services
Use the menu items on the left to navigate through our website and view the services we offer, or follow one of these popular shortcuts.
- Tree Removal and Retention - Bellevue is committed to preserving our city in a park. Here is everything you need to know about cutting down trees.
- Permit FAQs - Wondering how to get started in the permitting process? Get all the answers and links to resources.
- Zoning Requirements - An overview and FAQs to help you navigate the zoning requirements in Bellevue’s land use code.
- Code Compliance - Learn how our code compliance team works toward voluntary compliance with city codes and ordinances. Use our city portal to report code violations.
- Code Amendments - Information about proposed and recently adopted amendments to the city code.
- Bellevue Map Viewer - Access a variety of interactive map layers for parks and trails, wetlands, property information and more.
- Residential Building Permits - Learn what is required to build a new house, add a room or remodel your kitchen.
- Building and Fire Codes - Policy interpretations, building tip sheets, and information on building and construction codes, including electrical, mechanical and plumbing codes.