All of Bellevue’s laws are found in the city code, including ordinances and resolutions. Land and building development codes are presented here. Code Compliance enforces regulations in the nuisance, sign, construction and land use codes.
2021 International Codes
The Washington State Building Code Council voted on September 13 to delay the effective date of the 2021 International Codes until March 15, 2024. Cities and counties are required by state law to enforce the new codes on the effective date established by the SBCC. The Development Services and Fire departments plan to move forward with final adoption of the 2021 codes in early 2024. State amendments to the 2021 International Codes can be found in Title 51 of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC). City of Bellevue amendments will be posted at a later date.
Questions about code adoption can be submitted to email@example.com.
Wildland Urban Interface Codes
Washington State is adopting the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) code as part of the 2021 code cycle, which will affect some development projects in Bellevue due to new fire safety regulations. The WUI code adds wildfire protection standards to all structures based on proximity to areas with "vegetative fuels" that can contribute to wildfire spread and specified ignition-resistant construction requirements for buildings, decks, detached structures and other components to protect against fire ignition from embers. Information is available on the Wildland Urban Interface map created by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources. The city will post additional information and resources on our website to assist customers in complying with the regulations.
- Building Codes and Guidelines: IBC, IRC and City of Bellevue amendments to these codes
- Clearing and Grading Codes and Guidelines: Regulation of earth movement, land clearing, erosion protection
- Fire Codes and Guidelines: Regulations for infrastructure and building improvements for fire protection
- Land Use Codes and Guidelines: Rules that regulate use of land, building placement, design and environmental protection
- Transportation Codes and Guidelines: Regulations of public and private road construction and design
- Utilities Codes and Standards: Regulations and requirements for public and private utility construction and design
- Construction Codes
- Permit Forms and Publications