Residential building permits cover projects involving one- and two-family dwellings.
We also offer an Earthquake Home Retrofit Program, which can assist in upgrading the structural safety of wood-framed houses.
- New House or Large Addition: Construction of a new single-family residence or an addition greater than 3,000 gross square feet of new and/or replaced floor area. (BS)
- Addition - less than 3,000 square feet: The addition of less than 3,000 square feet of attached floor space to an existing dwelling or the addition of a deck, as well as all buildings and structures not attached to the house. (BR)
- Remodel with Structural Work: Any change within an existing dwelling that does not increase the area and roof sheathing that is being replaced or altered. (BU)
- Remodel without Structural Work: Non-structural work that does not increase the area or height of an existing building. This permit usually does not require plan review and can be issued the same day. (BT)
- Demolition: Demolition of the whole or part of any permanent structure, including a house, garage or storage shed. (BE)