Bellevue Business License Registration and Business Tax Payment
To conduct business in Bellevue, businesses must register with the city and obtain a Bellevue business license if you meet any of the following criteria:
1. You have a physical location in the city, or
2. Your annual gross receipts in the city will exceed $2,000.
If you do not have a physical location in the city and your annual gross receipts in Bellevue will be below $2,000 you do not need to obtain a business license.
You must still obtain all applicable regulatory licenses and permits. If a regulatory license is required, you will need to remit an application with the appropriate addendums.
How do I File My City Taxes?
The City of Bellevue has entered into an interagency agreement with other cities through FileLocal. Businesses can register and file taxes through one portal for multiple cities.
On FileLocal there is a $5 minimum fee when you apply for a license or submit a return. The fee is made up of a $4 user fee per city per payment and a service fee per city per payment based upon payment type. The service fee is a flat rate of $1 for ACH Debit and for credit/debit cards it is 3%.
How Can I Pay My Taxes?
There are two options to file and pay:
1. Businesses may register for a license, file and pay taxes online through FileLocal (user fees apply).
2. Taxes may also be filed by paper and paid for with a check. All taxes administered by Bellevue should be reported on the Multi-Purpose Tax Return. Completed tax returns and payment can be mailed to:
PO Box 34372
Seattle, WA 98124-1372
How Do I Amend a Tax Return?
Amended returns may be filed for the current period and up to four years back. Please follow these instructions to amend your return(s).
1. Either make a copy of your original return, clearly whiting out the wrong amounts and correct them on the same form, or for a blank form or if filed in the Portal, print a new form and fill in with the corrected figures.
2. Write “AMENDED” clearly at the top of the return(s) or check the "Amended" box if available.
3. Include a letter of explanation as to why you are amending the return(s).
4. Send the letter and amended return(s) to:
Bellevue Tax Division
P.O. Box 90012
Bellevue, WA 98009
What Types of Taxes Does the City Administer?
Bellevue collects general taxes from businesses, primarily the Business and Occupation (B&O) Tax. In addition, the city collects a number of Special Local Taxes on specific types of business activity, including the utility tax, gambling tax and admission tax.
King County, Washington State and other jurisdictions collect other taxes including Property Taxes, Sales Taxes, Lodging (hotel and motel) Taxes, Leasehold Excise Tax and Real Estate Excise Tax.
Businesses will receive a single property tax bill from King County, which collects the property tax for all governmental entities in the county. Property in Bellevue is taxed by a combination of some (but not all) of the following jurisdictions: City of Bellevue, Bellevue School District, Issaquah School District, King County, Port of Seattle, Regional Emergency Medical Services and State School Fund.
Personal property taxes administered by King County include business personal property assets used in conducting a business. The King County Department of Assessments offers additional information.