Deferred Submittals are defined as those portions of the design that are not submitted at the time of the application and that are to be submitted to the building official within a specified period after permit issuance.
- The registered design professional in responsible charge, or the applicant, if no design professional is required, shall list the deferred submittals on the construction documents for review by the building official.
- Deferral of any submittal items must have the prior approval of the building official.
- The deferred submittal items shall not be installed until the design and submittal documents have been approved by the building official.
- All pre-engineered, pre-fabricated, pre-manufactured or other products designed after issuance of a permit must be designed for loads and deflection criteria as required by the applicable edition of the International Building Code (IBC).
Any changes to the originally approved drawings as a result of a deferred submittal need to be submitted to the city for review as revisions to the approved drawings.
Documents for deferred items shall be submitted to the registered design professional in responsible charge who shall review them and forward them to the building official with a notation indicating that the deferred submittal documents have been reviewed and been found to be in general conformance to the design of the building.
The Specialty Structural Engineer (SSE) shall provide drawings and calculations for the deferred design submittal to the engineer of record for review. The design shall conform to loading and deflection criteria as required by the applicable edition of the IBC. Drawings and calculations for deferred submittals shall be designed by a structural/civil engineer licensed in the state of Washington. Deferred submittals shall be stamped/signed by the SSE and shall include all material requirements, manufacturer literature, listing and testing reports, etc.
The Engineer of Record (EOR) is responsible for reviewing the design drawings and calculations for compliance with the design criteria and compatibility with the design of the primary structure, including review of all connections to the primary structure. The EOR is required to review the submittal prior to providing it to the City of Bellevue for review. The documents should be submitted to the City of Bellevue prior to fabrication and with consideration given to the time frame required for the city to review. Deferred submittal items shall not be installed until the design and documents have been approved by the building official.
The Architect of Record (AOR) is responsible for reviewing drawings, manufacturer literature, listing and testing reports, etc., for compliance with the design criteria and for compatibility with the design of the building. The AOR is required to review the submittal prior to providing it to the City of Bellevue for review. The documents should be submitted to the City of Bellevue with consideration given to the time frame required for the city to review. Deferred submittal items shall not be installed until the design and documents have been approved by the building official.
Typical Deferred Submittals
The following is a list of typical items that may be treated as deferred submittals in accordance with Bellevue City Code Section 23.05.105E. This list is not meant to include all items that may be accepted as deferred submittals and is only intended to provide a general guideline.
- Acoustical ceiling suspension systems
- Anchorage of nonstructural components (seismic bracing)
- Code required building signage (not exit signs)
- Concrete mix designs
- Curtain walls, window walls and cladding systems
- Design of hollow core planks and precast concrete elements
- Fire-stopping systems
- Glass guardrail systems
- Glazing systems
- Heavy hung fixtures
- Pedestrian protection design and detailing
- Raised floor systems
- Spray-applied fire proofing
- Steel stairs, guards and handrails
- Steel storage racks and anchorage (unless submitted as a separate permit)
- Steel joists and trusses
- Stone veneer
- Through rod hold down systems
- Wood roof and floor trusses