The City of Bellevue Neighborhood Transportation Safety Services is developing a traffic improvement strategy for the Northtowne area, along 100th Avenue Northeast, between Northeast 24th and Northeast 14th streets. It will also include selected side streets between 100th Avenue Northeast and 98th Avenue Northeast. This strategy will focus on addressing concerns about speeding and the need for safe walking and bicycling in the neighborhood and nearby schools.
Area residents received a project update in June 2019 about the first phase of improvements. Construction of a second phase of improvements is projected to begin in 2021
City staff have met with stakeholders, identifying partners, and working with the school community and neighborhood residents to develop the strategy. Actions may include crossing treatments, signs and pavement markings, additional landscaping, and other features. The intent is to calm traffic and create a complete street that works better for all modes of travel, especially children walking to nearby schools.
Mini-roundabout construction begins Feb. 17, 2020
Construction of the mini-roundabout at the intersection of 100th Avenue NE and NE 10th Street intersection begins Feb. 17, 2020. The intersection will be fully closed for approximately 28 consecutive days starting March 9. Construction will occur Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday - Sunday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Work is weather dependent.
- Detour route map for Lux Apartments (Jan. 2020)
- Access map for Vuecrest neighborhood (Jan. 2020)
- Construction Alert (Jan. 2020)
- View current rendering of mini-roundabout
- How Roundabouts Work video (2 minutes, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
$1.3 million for Phase 1, funded by the Neighborhood Safety, Connectivity and Congestion Levy and other sources.
- 2021/2022: Construction of Phase II elements (See FAQs below for details)
- February-May 2020: Construction of mini-roundabout
- Fall 2019 to Summer 2020: Construction of Phase I elements
- Spring 2018: Project update
- January/February 2018: Project open house
- Fall 2017: Online survey and stakeholder meetings
- Construction Alert for Mini-roundabout (January 2020)
- Rendering of mini-roundabout at 100th Ave NE and NE 10th Street (December 2019)
- Open House materials (Oct. 17, 2019)
- Project vicinity map
- Project timeline
- 100th Ave NE and NE 10th Street Mini-roundabout "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQ)
- 100th Ave NE and NE 10th Street Mini-roundabout schematic
- 100th Ave NE and NE 10th Street Mini-roundabout conflict points schematic
- Benefits of roundabouts display
- Open House event hand out (English)(Simplified Chinese)
- Comment card (English)(Simplified Chinese)
- Comment cards submitted by neighbors
- Vuecrest Paving Area Map
- Vuecrest Sanitary Sewer Trenchless Rehabilitation Project handout
- Meydenbauer Flood Control Project "Frequently Asked Questions" (FAQ)
- Project Open House Mailer (Sept. 2019)
- Construction Notice: NE 23rd Street sidewalk, NE 24th crosswalk. Distributed to adjacent properties (August 2019)
- Project Update (June 2019)
- Project Update (December 2018)
- Open House Summary (Feb. 28, 2018)
- 100th Avenue Northeast and Vicinity Complete Streets Project Initial Survey Results
- Design Concepts
Frequently asked questions
What improvements will be added during Phase 2 of the project?
Phase 2 elements will include:
- Shared used path on the east side of 100th Avenue Northeast, from Northeast 17th Street to Northeast 24th Street.
- Raised intersections along 100th Avenue Northeast at Northeast 14th, 18th and 21st streets.
- Sidewalk along the north side of Northeast 18th Street, from 98th to 100th Avenue Northeast.
- Sidewalk along the east side of 98th Avenue Northeast from Northeast 18th to 20th Streets.
- Enhanced crosswalks on 100th Avenue Northeast at Northeast 15th and 23rd streets.