Neighborhood Traffic Safety Services is working to improve traffic safety in the area around Newport Heights Elementary, along 119th Avenue Southeast, between Southeast 56th Street and Lake Heights Street. The strategy will focus on addressing concerns about speeding and requests for pedestrian safety improvements, particularly for students walking to school.
City staff met with members of the school community and neighborhood residents to develop short- and long-term actions to increase traffic safety.
Construction begins June 2019 on improved crosswalks, additional pavement markings, and other features to calm traffic.
FundingFunding comes from the Neighborhood Safety, Connectivity and Congestion levy, the Neighborhood Sidewalks Program and Neighborhood Traffic Safety Services. Estimated construction cost of the sidewalks and medians is $540,000.
- Construction Alert (June 2019
- December 2018 Project Update
- March 6, 2018 Open House Summary
- Design Concepts
- Newport Heights and 119th Avenue Southeast Community Traffic Safety Survey Analysis (2017)
- Fall 2017: Project open house (completed)
- March 6, 2018 (6:30-8 pm): Project open house at Newport Heights Elementary library
- Summer/fall 2018: Construction of Phase I elements (school zone flashing beacons; complete)
- Summer 2019: Construction of Phase II elements