If you believe the City of Bellevue is at fault for an incident or accident resulting in loss, injury or damages, you can file a claim requesting payment. Please call the City’s Risk Management Division at 425-452-2746 with any questions.
Choose only ONE of the following methods to file a Claim for Damages.
Method 1-Online (Preferred)
Click the link below to initiate the online process. Email address is required. (Please look below at "How to file a claim for damages online" for more detailed instructions)
Method 2-U.S. Mail
Download the Claim for Damages form below, print, fill out and sign, then mail to:
Bellevue City Clerk
PO Box 90012
Bellevue, WA 98009
Method 3-Hand Delivery ***OPTION CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE DUE TO COVID-19 CITY HALL CLOSURE
Download the Claim for Damages form below, print, fill out and sign, then hand deliver to City Hall at:
Bellevue City Hall
450 110th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
Claims for Damages FAQ's
How to File a Claim for Damages Online
How to File a Claim for Damages Online
When filing a claim for damages online, follow the steps below:
- Open the form by using the link provided above. The red asterisk next to a question indicates required fields.
- After you click the "Submit" button a box with a green header will appear with an incident number. This is NOT your claim number. This only indicates a successful transmission of your claim form.
- You will receive an email with the subject line "Signature Requested on Claim for Damages". Open the adobe document, review and electronically sign. (CHECK JUNK AND SPAM FOLDER IF YOU DO NOT RECIEVE THIS EMAIL WITHIN 3 BUSINESS DAYS).
- After you electronically sign the adobe form, you will receive a second email with a signed copy of the Claim for Damages form as an attachment for your records.
When is the City of Bellevue responsible for a claim?
The City of Bellevue is responsible for damages that occur due to negligence by the City or its employees. Negligence is the failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to others.
When is the City of Bellevue NOT responsible for a claim?
The City of Bellevue is NOT held responsible for damages that the City, or its employees did not cause. For example, the City of Bellevue is not responsible for damages caused by the following:
- Weather related conditions; such as, wind, lightening, flooding, heat, ice or snow.
- External causes; such as, automobile accidents, falling trees or construction activities.
- Wear and tear of road conditions; such as, potholes.
- Damages occurring within the course of police or fire responses (RCW 4.96.010).
- Injuries sustained while at recreational facilities; such as, parks and farms (RCW 4.24.210).
What is the Claimant's responsibility when there is a claim?
The Claimant has a responsibility to mitigate their losses. Meaning they should take reasonable steps to keep the loss from getting worse.
They also have the responsibility to preserve support for their claim. These support items include receipts, estimates, invoices, photographs and other information relating to the claim.
How long will it take to resolve the claim?
In most cases, the City of Bellevue's Risk Management Department will reach a decision within 30 days of the claim filing.
More complex claims or cases, where we need additional information, may require more than 30 days to resolve.
What does the Claimant need to provide for support of their claim?
You should attach receipts, invoices and other documentation related to the loss. Photographs of the damages are also helpful.
If the City of Bellevue is responsible, what compensation will be provided?
If the City is found to be responsible, the City will reimburse or issue payment for reasonable, necessary and related charges. If the claim involves injury the City will work to provide fair compensation associated with the injury claim.
If an insurance carrier makes payments on the Claimant's behalf, they will need to file a separate claim and reimbursement will be issued directly to the carrier.