Neighborhood safety projects include traffic calming, speed reduction, and mid-block and other crosswalks with enhanced safety features. Project descriptions, project costs and levy funding are subject to change. The following projects, along with all Levy-funded projects, can be found on an interactive map.
- 148th Avenue SE at SE 16th Street and at 22nd Street and Richards Road at SE 26th Street: Install five new signal poles and foundations to accommodate the new signal displays. Install left turn flashing yellow arrows in the east-west direction at: 148th Avenue SE & SE 16th Street, 148th Avenue SE & SE 22nd Street and Richards Road & SE 26th Street. Construction expected to begin mid-July 2020. More information on the Flashing Yellow Arrow webpage.
- 100th Avenue NE and Vicinity Complete Street Project Phase 1: Project will include crosswalk improvements at NE 24th Street and 100th Avenue NE and cement concrete sidewalk with a planter strip on north side of NE 23rd Street from 98th Avenue NE to 100th Avenue NE (projects are completed). Mini-roundabout to be built at intersection of 100th Avenue NE and NE 10th Street. See Phase 2 description below. 100th Avenue NE complete Street project webpage.
- 108th Avenue SE — Bellevue Way to Main Street: 20 MPH school zone around Bellevue High School and pedestrian improvements on SE 16th Street between 108th Avenue SE and Bellevue Way. Mailer with more information
- 112th Avenue NE — NE 12th Street to SR 520 and 108th Avenue NE from Northup Way: Bike facilities in both directions, two new pedestrian crossings and a new northbound left-turn lane at the intersection of 112th Avenue NE and NE 24th Street. Project Flyer with Chinese translation (April 2018). (Also listed on Bicycle Facilities project page)
- 117th Avenue SE and SE 54th Place Sidewalk: Construct a six-foot pervious sidewalk separated from traffic by a 9.5-foot planter on east side of 117th Avenue SE, from SE 54th Place, approximately 450 feet north to Newport Heights Elementary driveway.
156th Avenue NE — Main Street to NE 6th Street Pedestrian Improvements: Install new midblock crosswalk at NE 1st Street with rectangular rapid flashing beacon system; install sidewalk on the east side of 156th Avenue NE from NE 1st Place to NE 1st Street; enhance existing midblock crossings at NE 4th Street and NE 6th Street with new rectangular rapid flashing beacon systems.
- 158th Place SE — Lake Hills Boulevard to Main Street: Water main replacement, six-foot wide sidewalk on east side of street, with traffic calming elements (Rapid Rectangular Flashing Beacon system, replace traffic circle. Details in Construction Alert (March 2019) . (Also listed on Sidewalk, Trails & Paths project page)
- Eastgate/Tyee Middle School Safety: Install a sidewalk on the west side of 138th Avenue SE between SE Allen Road and SE 40th Street. Convert temporary traffic circle to mini-roundabout at 138th Avenue SE and SE 40th Street. Install school flashing beacons at strategic locations. Also listed on Sidewalk, Trails and Paths Project webpage
- NE Bellevue Crosswalk Grant Match: Flashing crosswalk at 6 crosswalk sites (5 existing; 1 new) in northeast Bellevue near Interlake High and Sherwood Elementary Schools and along Northup Way. Construction Alert (June 2019)
- Newport Heights Traffic Safety Improvement Project (119th Avenue SE Sidewalk): Construct a 6 foot sidewalk on west side of 119th Avenue SE from SE 56th Street to Newport Heights Elementary School, rebuild pedestrian island at the mid-block crosswalk in front of the school and install an entry island on the north leg of the intersection of SE 56th Street/119th Avenue SE. (Also listed on Sidewalk, Trails and Paths Project webpage)
Construction Alert (June 2019)
- SE 16th Street Walkway Improvements: Raised crosswalk on SE 16th Street at 160th Avenue SE, curb/gutter sidewalk on the south side of SE 16th Street from 160th Avenue SE to the cul-de-sac, marked crosswalk across the cul-de-sac, speed radar signs combined with 20 mph school zone flashing beacons for eastbound and westbound directions (existing radar sign will be removed). Sidewalk alignment chosen to minimize tree removal of no more than five while maximizing pedestrian safety.
- Construction alert (April 2020)
Projects under construction
- 101st Avenue SE at SE 3rd Street Intersection Improvements: Add curb extensions and a raised crosswalk at 101st Avenue SE and SE 3rd Street, for Wildwood Park. Water main replacement, grind and overlay and some striping between Meydenbauer Way SE and 100th Avenue NE. Construction Alert (June 2020)
- 2019 Signal Pole Replacements: Install new protected-permissive left turn movement in the east-west direction at both 148th Avenue SE & SE 16th Street, 148th Avenue SE & SE 22nd Street, and Richards Road & SE 26th Street. A total of 5 new signal poles will be installed.
- Highland Middle School Traffic Signal: In partnership with the Bellevue School District, construct a new traffic signal on Bel-Red Road, between 148th Avenue NE and NE 20th Street near Highland Christian School.
- Lake Hills Boulevard — 148th to 159th Avenues SE: The 159th Avenue SE site is under construction as part of the 158th Place SE Sidewalk project, while the other two sites; Lake to Lake Trail crossing and the 154th Avenue SE crossing are both set to begin construction in as early as Nov. 12, 2019, weather dependent. These improvements will include state of the art Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) systems. As part of this levy safety project, radar feedback signs were also installed last year to help reduce vehicle speeds
Projects in planning/design
- 100th Avenue NE and Vicinity Complete Streets Project -- Phase 2: Project includes NE 18th Street sidewalk (on the north side from 100th to 98th Avenue NE), 98th Avenue NE sidewalk (on the east side from NE 18th to 20th streets), 100th Avenue NE walkway (on the east side from NE 17th to 24th streets) and raised intersections on 100th Avenue NE, NE 14th, NE 18th and NE 21st streets. Project also includes crosswalk enhancements and possible restriping of 100 Avenue NE with bike lanes in the northbound direction and sharrows in the southbound direction.
- 112th Avenue NE Corridor Improvements: Design and construct a traffic signal at the NE 24th Street and 112th Avenue NE intersection and replace root-damaged sidewalk panels to meet accessibility requirements and update curb ramps to current standards. Install a third flashing beacon at the mid-block pedestrian crossing on 112th Avenue NE and upgrade conduit infrastructure for street lighting system. (Also listed under Neighborhood Congestion Reduction and Maintenance).
- Project update mailer (July 2020)
- Crosswalk Improvements — Kamber Road, 160th Avenue SE and Forest Drive: Install two new marked crosswalks on Kamber Road (at SE 24th and SE 20th streets) with flashing beacon (RRFB) crosswalks, upgraded curb ramps and pedestrian landing areas; enhance two existing crosswalks on 160th Avenue SE, at SE 33rd Street and in the SE 3000 block, with new flashing beacons, upgraded curb ramps, new landscaped traffic islands and new lighting; and add five flashing beacons on Forest Drive at existing crosswalks and add one new crosswalk.
- Lakemont Boulevard at Red Town Trailhead Pedestrian Crossing: Install equipment and signage at the site of a new private development on the north side of Lakemont Boulevard, to connect with Red Town Trailhead.
- Main Street — 140th to 164th Aves.: Pedestrian crossing and traffic calming. Flashing crosswalk systems at Main Street and trail crossing, and at 145th Place NE and 153rd Place NE. Install 2 radar signs.
- NE 28th Street Traffic Calming: Install roadway narrowing and traffic calming measures on NE 28th Street from 164th Avenue NE to Ardmore Park.
- Somerset Boulevard SE Pedestrian Circulation Enhancements: Evaluate alternatives to improve safety with the preferred option moving into design and construction. The emphasis area for the near term is along Somerset Boulevard between SE Newport Way and SE 43rd Street. Improvements may include constructing sidewalk, crosswalks, traffic calming and other enhancements.