Congestion reduction projects ease traffic congestion within, near and between neighborhoods, making it easier for people to get to homes, jobs, schools and shopping. Approximately $2 million of levy funding supports the Neighborhood Congestion Reduction program annually. Project descriptions, project costs and levy funding are subject to change. The following projects, along with all Levy-funded projects, can be found on an interactive map.
Design and Construction
Projects that show a great need for congestion improvement and have a concept that shows a high benefit are funded for design and construction. Information about Neighborhood Congestion Reduction projects that are in design or construction is provided below.
- 150th Avenue SE at Newport Way: Complete the design plans for widening and channelization at 150th Ave NE and SE Newport Way to reduce travel time in afternoon peak hours. Design completed March 2019. NOTE: Construction for this project is not funded by the Levy. This project includes construction of a new southbound right turn lane on 150th Ave. SE at SE Newport Way. The new lane will include sidewalk from Newport Way down the west side of 150th Ave SE to the six homes along this section of the roadway.
- 164th Avenue SE at SE Newport Way Mini-roundabout: Designed and constructed a mini-roundabout at the intersection. Completed March 2020.
Projects under construction
- 112th Avenue NE Corridor Improvements: Design and construct a traffic signal at the NE 24th Street and 112th Avenue NE intersection and replace root-damaged sidewalk panels to meet accessibility requirements and update curb ramps to current standards. Install a third flashing beacon at the mid-block pedestrian crossing on 112th Avenue NE and upgrade conduit infrastructure for street lighting system. Construction June through December 2021. (Also listed under Neighborhood Congestion Reduction and Maintenance).
Projects in planning/design
- 148th to 150th Avenue SE Corridor Improvements: Widen the west leg of the Eastgate Way/148th Avenue SE intersection and re-channelize the bridge over I-90 to accommodate a northbound dual left and four lanes southbound over I-90 (including the existing ramp merge lane). Additionally, this project will refine the design to the 150th Avenue SE/SE 37th Street intersection.
- Lake Hills Boulevard & 148th Avenue SE Improvements: Widen east leg of the intersection to add a second dedicated left turn lane. Construction anticipated in 2022.
- Lake Hills Boulevard & 156th Avenue SE Improvements: Remove all-way stop and add a traffic signal. Design only. More information on project webpage.
- Lake Hills Connector & SE 8th Street Improvements: Widen the south leg to accommodate a second northbound left turn pocket.
- School Area Traffic Management: In partnership with the Bellevue School District, evaluate and monitor school pick up and drop off queuing operations to minimize or eliminate spill over onto city streets.
- SE 38th Street and Factoria Boulevard Intersection Channelization: Re-channelize the westbound approach of SE 38th Street to add a second westbound left turn lane. Construction expected summer 2021.