The transformation of the 124th Avenue Corridor between Northeast 8th Street and Northup Way continues at a steady pace. These improvements will enhance access and circulation for cars, transit, freight, pedestrians and bicycles between Downtown Bellevue, Wilburton and the BelRed area. The transformation comes from the need to accommodate future growth and new land uses in the area, envisioned in the BelRed Subarea Plan. Project design, implementation and cost-sharing has been coordinated with Sound Transit’s East Link light rail that begins service in 2024.
- View aerial footage of the 124th Avenue Northeast Corridor (May 2020)
- Access Bellevue booklet (May 2020)
Corridor improvements are being built with four distinct project areas with some projects under construction while others have been completed.
Projects under construction
- Construction began January 2022 - Northeast 12th Street to Northeast Spring Boulevard: This segment will widen 124th Avenue Northeast to five lanes, build a pathway for bicyclists and pedestrians, improve street lighting, modify traffic operations, restore the roadway and more. Project construction began in January 2022 and is anticipated to be completed by summer 2023.
- Construction planned begins March 2023 - Ichigo Way to Northup Way: This segment will widen and re-profile the roadway to five lanes, build a multipurpose path between the future Northeast 16th Street and Ichigo Way, install sidewalk, replace an existing pipe with a fish-passable culvert, improve street lighting and more. The project is anticipated to be completed by 2024.
- Northeast 8th to 12th Street: This segment installed a mid-block flashing beacon crossing at Northeast 10th Place and curb ramps, improved lighting and restored the roadway. The work was completed in 2021.
- Northeast Spring Boulevard to Ichigo Way: This segment raised and widened the roadway to five lanes, built a bridge for the light rail undercrossing, installed sidewalk and a new traffic light the future Northeast 16th Street and restored the roadway. The work was completed in July 2021.
- Ichigo Way to Northup Way - monopole replacement project: This part of the project included the replacement of two Seattle City Light electrical towers with skinnier monopoles. The work was completed in February 2021 and was captured in a time-lapse video.