The transformation of the 124th Avenue Corridor between NE 8th Street and Northup Way continues at a steady pace. These improvements will enhance access and circulation for cars, transit, freight, pedestrians and bicycles between Downtown Bellevue, Wilburton, and the BelRed area. The transformation comes from the need to accommodate future growth and new land uses in the area, envisioned in the BelRed Subarea Plan. Project design, implementation and cost sharing has been coordinated with Sound Transit’s East Link light rail that begins service in 2023.
Corridor improvements are being built with four distinct project areas (listed below from south to north along 124th Avenue NE:)
- Construction planned for 2020- NE 8th Street to NE 12th Street. This segment will install a mid-block flashing beacon crossing at NE 10th Place and curb ramps, improve lighting and restore the roadway. Construction expected to begin fall/winter 2020.
- Design underway- NE 12th Street to NE Spring Boulevard: This segment will widen 124th Avenue NE to five lanes, build a pathway for bicyclists and pedestrians, improve street lighting, modify traffic operations, restore the roadway and more. Construction is expected to begin in winter 2021 and last approximately one year.
- Under construction – NE Spring Boulevard to Ichigo Way: This segment will raise and widen the roadway to five lanes, build a bridge for the light rail undercrossing, install sidewalk and a new traffic light the future NE 16th Street and restore the roadway. Completion is expected by the end of 2020.
- Portion of 124th Avenue NE closed through June 2020. Follow detours. Local access maintained. More details.
- Construction planned for 2022/2023 – Ichigo Way to Northup Way: This segment will widen the roadway to five lanes, build a multipurpose path between the future NE 16th Street and Ichigo Way, install sidewalk, improve street lighting and more.
View aerial footage of the 124th Avenue Northeast Corridor (May 2020)
- Access Bellevue booklet (May 2020)