The project addresses safety issues along this segment of 124h Avenue Northeast until additional funding becomes available. The measures include providing a mid-block crossing at Northeast 10th Place, installing light fixtures and improving access for people with disabilities. Ultimately, plans call for adding separated, multi-use paths on both sides of the street, landscaping, irrigation and drainage improvements and other upgrades.
Longterm, the project will provide pedestrian and bicycle access to the future light rail station at 120th Avenue Northeast. Its design will be compatible with nearby development.
Construction begins early December
Construction begins in December 7, 2020 to make the following safety improvements along 124th Avenue NE, between NE 8th and NE 12th Streets. Refer to map and construction alert.
- Sidewalk with curb ramp improvements on the west side of 124th Avenue NE, from NE 8th Street to NE 10th Place;
- Median with a flashing beacon and mid-block crossing south of NE 10th Place; and,
- Eight new streetlights on both sides of 124th Avenue NE (to be installed at a later date.)
- February 2021: Construction pause scheduled for fabrication of street lights
- December 2020: Construction start
- December 2018: Capital budget approved funding safety improvements
- October/November 2018: Present recommendations to City Council
- September/October 2018: Present recommendations to Transportation Commission
- September 2018: Survey results mailer sent
- August 2018: Survey residents
The project is only funded for the safety improvements only.
- Construction alert mailer (November 2020)