As part of the 124th Avenue NE Corridor Improvements, southbound and northbound 124th Avenue NE between NE 12th Street (Bel-Red Road) and NE Spring Boulevard will be closed one direction at a time beginning Nov. 29-Jan. 13, 2023, Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Access to businesses along 124th Avenue NE will be maintained in both directions. Pedestrian and bicycle access will be maintained via a detour on 120th Avenue NE. During these closures, crews will complete the roadway widening, grading and placement of a base level.
- Northbound closure begins Nov. 29-Dec. 7, detour map.
- Southbound closure begins Dec. 7-Jan.13, detour map.
- NE District Way between 123rd and 124th Avenues NE: Full road closure Dec. 12-15, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Alternate routes include 121st Avenue NE.
Construction alert for more information.
Project will widen 124th Avenue Northeast, from Northeast 12th Street to Northeast Spring Boulevard, to five lanes. The new configuration will include turn pockets or a center turn lane, and a pedestrian and bicycle facility on each side of the street, separated from vehicle traffic with a buffer. The project is being coordinated with the Spring District and other developments in the area.
It's expected this project will improve connectivity and circulation, support economic development and provide pedestrian and bicycle access to the future Spring District/120th light rail station. The design also will be compatible with surrounding development.
- 2023: Construction completion anticipated
- 2017: Funding finalized through a Federal Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan from the U.S. Department of Transportation
The total project budget is $21.3 million and will be partially funded through a federal TIFIA loan and Transportation Improvement Board. Approved 2021-2027 Capital Investment Program Budget Sheet.
- Construction alert (December 2022)
- Updated construction alert (December 2021)
- Construction alert (October 2021)
- Roadway cross-section diagram
- Pedestrian-bicycle configuration