As part of the 124th Avenue Corridor Improvement Project to support planned growth and development in the BelRed area, improve circulation and accommodate an East Link light rail undercrossing, the City of Bellevue plans to:
- Widen 124th Avenue NE to five lanes from NE Spring Boulevard to Ichigo Way (formerly NE 18th Street).
- Raise the roadway to build a bridge on 124th Avenue NE to allow for the East Link cars to pass underneath.
- Install sidewalk with planters on the east side and a portion of the sidewalk on the west side of 124th Avenue NE.
- Install a traffic signal at the intersection of 124th Avenue NE and the future NE 16th Street.
Portion of 124th Ave NE closed starting Sept. 9, 2019
Starting Monday, Sept. 9 and lasting through June 2020, a portion of 124th Ave NE between NE 12th Street/Bel-Red Road and Northup Way will be closed to through traffic. The closure is needed to build a bridge to allow for the East Link light rail vehicles to pass underneath. Access to businesses along 124th Ave NE will be maintained during the closure from either direction.
Following the completion of the bridge, single lane closures on 124th Ave NE between NE Spring Blvd and Ichigo Way will be needed to complete the remainder of the work.
The project will enhance access and circulation for cars, transit, freight, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Sept. 9, 2019 through June 2020: A portion of 124th Ave NE between NE 12th Street/Bel-Red Road and Northup Way will be closed. Construction continues through 2020.
- Aug. 2019: Contract awarded to Interwest Construction Inc.
- 2017: Funding finalized through a Federal Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The total project budget of $33 million is partially funded by Washington State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB) fund and Sound Transit's East Link light rail project.