As part of the 124th Avenue Corridor Improvement Project to support planned growth and development in the BelRed area, improve circulation and accommodate an East Link light rail undercrossing, the City of Bellevue plans to:
- Widen 124th Avenue NE to five lanes from NE Spring Boulevard to Ichigo Way (formerly NE 18th Street).
- Raise the roadway to build a bridge on 124th Avenue NE to allow for the East Link cars to pass underneath.
- Install sidewalk with planters on the east side and a portion of the sidewalk on the west side of 124th Avenue NE.
- Install a traffic signal at the intersection of 124th Avenue NE and the future NE 16th Street.
The project will enhance access and circulation for cars, transit, freight, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- 2021 (spring): Construction completion anticipated
- 2019 (fall): Construction begins
- 2019 (August): Construction contract awarded to Interwest Construction Inc.
- 2017: Funding finalized through a Federal Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The total project budget of $33 million is partially funded by Washington State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB) fund and Sound Transit's East Link light rail project.