As part of the 124th Avenue Corridor Improvement Project to support planned growth and development in the BelRed area, improve circulation and accommodate an East Link light rail undercrossing, the City of Bellevue plans to:
- Widen 124th Avenue NE to five lanes from NE Spring Boulevard to Ichigo Way (formerly NE 18th Street).
- Raise the roadway to build a bridge on 124th Avenue NE to allow for the East Link cars to pass underneath.
- Install sidewalk with planters on the east side and a portion of the sidewalk on the west side of 124th Avenue NE.
- Install a traffic signal at the intersection of 124th Avenue NE and the future NE 16th Street.
Project update (Dec. 2019)
Construction to improve 124th Avenue NE between NE Spring Boulevard and Ichigo Way continues in earnest and is on schedule. Progress since the start of construction in August includes:
- Bridge abutment support structures, known as secant piles, for the bridge being built to accommodate light rail tracks beneath have been installed.
- Relocation of existing utilities such as waterline and gas and converting aerial utilities to new underground power and communications systems north of the bridge is complete.
- Installation of the new storm line north of the bridge has been completed.
- Construction of retaining walls along the east side of 124th Avenue NE continues.
The closure of a portion of 124th Avenue NE is expected through the end of May 2020. The following construction activities are planned to begin early in the year:
- Complete bridge construction over Sound Transit’s light rail tracks.
- Complete utility relocation and undergrounding south of the bridge.
- Install an underground detention vault north of the bridge (south of Ichigo Way) that will collect and treat surface water runoff.
- Complete retaining wall construction.
Portion of 124th Ave NE closed starting Sept. 9, 2019
Starting Monday, Sept. 9 and lasting through June 2020, a portion of 124th Ave NE between NE 12th Street/Bel-Red Road and Northup Way will be closed to through traffic. The closure is needed to build a bridge to allow for the East Link light rail vehicles to pass underneath. Access to businesses along 124th Ave NE will be maintained during the closure from either direction.
Following the completion of the bridge, single lane closures on 124th Ave NE between NE Spring Blvd and Ichigo Way will be needed to complete the remainder of the work.
The project will enhance access and circulation for cars, transit, freight, pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Sept. 9, 2019 through June 2020: A portion of 124th Ave NE between NE 12th Street/Bel-Red Road and Northup Way will be closed. Construction continues through 2020.
- Aug. 2019: Contract awarded to Interwest Construction Inc.
- 2017: Funding finalized through a Federal Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The total project budget of $33 million is partially funded by Washington State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB) fund and Sound Transit's East Link light rail project.