Bellevue currently has two full roundabouts, both on West Lake Sammamish Parkway Southeast/180th Avenue Southeast, just north of Interstate 90. They were built by the state Department of Transportation, which maintains them. The most recent one was completed in 2013. In 2019-2020, the Bellevue Transportation Department anticipates starting construction on three new “mini-roundabouts" to enhance safety and improve travel efficiency. The mini-roundabouts will be at:
- 100th Avenue Northeast and Northeast 10th Street (project webpage)
- 138th Avenue Southeast and Southeast 40th Street (project mailer)
- 164th Avenue Southeast and Southeast Newport Way (project mailer)
A roundabout is a circular intersection with a center island that can be safer and more efficient than intersections with no island. In roundabouts, drivers and cyclists circulate counterclockwise around the island and those entering the roundabout yield to those already circulating. Vehicle speeds are kept low due to the curved design, and, unlike a four-way intersection with stop signs, stopping is not required unless one needs to yield before entering.
A mini-roundabout is a compact style of the roundabout, larger than a traffic circle but smaller than a full-size roundabout. The center island is designed to be driven over by the occasional large truck or bus.
- Short overview video on roundabouts (2 minutes)
- Longer video on roundabouts with details and statistics (10 minutes)
- How to drive a roundabout, from the state Department of Transportation
- Driving a semi-truck through a mini-roundabout
- Driving a school bus through a mini-roundabout (at 4:25 mark of video)
2019-2020: All three mini-roundabouts are slated to begin construction in 2019; each is part of a larger improvement project and each will take several months to complete.
- 100th Avenue Northeast/Northeast 10th Street construction budget: Approximately $800,000 (partially funded by the Neighborhood Safety, Connectivity and Congestion Levy)
- 138th Avenue Southeast/Southeast 40th Street construction budget: Estimate not yet available (partially funded by the Levy)
- 164th Avenue Southeast/Southeast Newport Way construction budget: Approximately $600,000 (fully funded by the Levy)
NOTE: The above estimated dollar amounts are subject to change.