Approved in December 2020, the Vision Zero Strategic Plan lays out how the city will apply a "Safe System" approach to eliminate traffic fatalities and serious injuries by 2030.
Annual action plans will describe the specific short-term implementation efforts the city will undertake based on the strategies, such as infrastructure improvements, road safety studies, community engagement campaigns and other work.
Bellevue’s Vision Zero plans align with the statewide Target Zero plan, which shares the goal of zero traffic deaths and serious injuries by 2030.
The purpose of the Vision Zero Strategic Plan is to coordinate existing efforts and new ideas, evaluate crash data, consider public concerns, and identify strategies that will reduce traffic fatalities and serious injuries to zero by 2030. The plan provides a coordinated approach across city departments, ensuring that transportation engineers, first responders and other key staff work together.
Annual action plans reflect Bellevue’s commitment to address systemic traffic safety challenges holistically, through interdepartmental “One City” collaboration. They are living documents, to be continually updated as new data becomes available and as new Safe System actions prove to be successful in making Bellevue streets safer. Current and past plans are:
Planning history -- memos and outreach material
- Current and Best Practices Assessment memo (March 2019)
- High Injury Network memo and HIN map (March 2019)
- Assessment of Collision Data memo (January 2019)
- Action Plan Scope of Work (September 2018)
- City Council Regular Session memo, resolution (June 2020)
- City Council Study Session memo, presentation, and other meeting materials (March 2020)
- Vision Zero Network webinar recording and blog post (January 2020)
- Transportation Commission memo, attachments and presentation (December 2019)
- "Words Matter," a presentation (and video recording) by Barb Chamberlain, WSDOT Active Transportation Division Director (December 2019)
- Transportation Commission memo, attachments and presentation (November 2019)
- Transportation Commission memo and presentation (March 2019)
- Public online questionnaire: Summary of results (March 2019)
- City employee online questionnaire: Summary of results (March 2019)
- Vision Zero pledge photos (March 2019)
- Transportation Commission memo and presentation (January 2019)
- Indian Association of Western Washington (January 2019)
- Bellevue Network on Aging (December 2018)
- Coordination meeting with WSDOT and WTSC staff (December 2018)
- English Language Learners Alliance presentation (October 2018)
- YouthLink Outreach (November 2018)
- Transportation Commission memo (November 2018)
- Vision Zero pledge photos (July 2018)