The purpose of the Vision Zero Action Plan is to make our streets safe and reach the Vision Zero goal of eliminating traffic fatalities and serious injuries.
Collaborating with many partners, the Transportation Department is promoting coordinated solutions in engineering, education, encouragement, evaluation, equity, and enforcement. Together we will:
- Consider Vision Zero best practices – including policies, programs, and strategies – that are successful elsewhere and applicable to Bellevue.
- Coordinate with existing road safety efforts underway in Bellevue and Vision Zero initiatives elsewhere.
- Engage community stakeholders in setting the priorities for investment in Vision Zero strategies.
- Propose Vision Zero strategies through 2030, and the financial and staffing resources necessary for a phased implementation in the 2019 to 2022 timeframe.
- Current and Best Practices Assessment memo (March 2019)
- High Injury Network memo (March 2019)
- Assessment of Collision Data memo (January 2019)
- Action Plan Scope of Work (September 2018)
Vision Zero Summit
As part of the work to create an action plan, the city organized a Bellevue Vision Zero Summit (event program -- PDF size: 56MB) on Feb. 13, 2019 at Overlake Medical Center.
Experts from across the state and nation spoke and Bellevue TV made video recordings of the presentation topics:
- Vision Zero overview: Remarks by crash victims, state Secretary of Transportation, representatives announcing a major partnership to address distracted driving, Bellevue's Deputy Mayor, city staff and others
- Safe Vehicles panel discussion
- Safe Speeds panel discussion
- Safe People panel discussion
- Safe Streetspanel discussion
- Transportation Commission memo and presentation (March 2019)
- Public online questionnaire: Summary of results (March 2019)
- City employee online questionnaire: Summary of results (March 2019)
- Vision Zero pledge photos (March 2019)
- Indian Association of Western Washington (January 2019)
- Bellevue Network on Aging (December 2018)
- Coordination meeting with WSDOT and WTSC staff (December 2018)
- English Language Learners Alliance presentation (October 2018)
- YouthLink Outreach (November 2018)
- Transportation Commission memo (November 2018)
- Vision Zero pledge photos (July 2018)