Neighborhood Traffic Safety Services has developed a traffic improvement strategy for the Eastgate neighborhood around Tyee Middle School and along the following streets:
- 138th Avenue Southeast and 136th Place Southeast, from Allen Road to Southeast 37th Street
- Southeast 40th Street, from 136th Place Southeast to 146th Avenue Southeast
- 146th Avenue Southeast, from Southeast 42nd Place to Southeast 37th Street
This strategy focuses on addressing concerns about speeding and traffic volumes, the need for safe walking and bicycling in the neighborhood and to/from school. City staff met with stakeholders and partners to work together with the school community and neighborhood residents. As a result, short- and long-term actions to increase traffic safety were identified including improved crosswalks, additional pavement markings and other features to calm traffic.
Construction begins June 2019 on a new sidewalk on the west side of 138th Ave SE and the mini-roundabout at 138th Ave SE and SE 40th Street. Other improvements include parking shoulders on 138th Ave SE/136th Place SE and colored pavement across 136th Place SE and 146th Ave SE.
FundingPartially funded by the Neighborhood Safety, Connectivity and Congestion Levy
- Construction Alert (June 2019)
- Project mailer (April 2019)
- Flashing beacons construction ahead mailer (September 2018)
- Project Open House display boards (February 2018)
- Eastgate/Tyee Traffic Safety Survey Analysis (November 2017)
- Summer/fall 2019: Construction of Phase II elements
- Summer/fall 2018: Construction of Phase I elements (school zone flashing beacons)
- February 15, 2018 (6:30-8:00 pm): Project open house at Tyee Middle School library
- Fall 2017: Project open house (completed)