Neighborhood Traffic Safety Services developed a traffic improvement project for the Eastgate neighborhood around Tyee Middle School to address the pedestrian environment and reduce the speed of people driving. Construction began in June 2019 and was largely completed in early 2020. Project elements included a mini-roundabout at 138th Avenue SE and SE 40th Street and a new sidewalk on the west side of 138th Avenue from SE 40th Street to SE Allen Road.
This project responded to concerns about speeding and traffic volumes, the need for safe walking and bicycling in the neighborhood and to/from school. City staff met with stakeholders to identify needs such as improved crosswalks, additional pavement markings and other features to calm traffic.
Partially funded by the Neighborhood Safety, Connectivity and Congestion Levy
- Construction alert (June 2019)
- Project mailer (April 2019)
- Flashing beacons construction ahead mailer (September 2018)
- Project Open House display boards (February 2018)
- Eastgate/Tyee Traffic Safety Survey Analysis (November 2017)
- Early 2020: Project completion
- Summer 2019: Construction of Phase II elements
- Summer/fall 2018: Construction of Phase I elements (school zone flashing beacons)
- February 2018: Project open house at Tyee Middle School library
- Fall 2017: Project open house