The Access Bellevue initiative is a collaborative communications effort to keep the public informed about East Link light rail and surrounding construction occurring in Bellevue.
Major traffic revisions for light rail construction
Major traffic revisions are planned for East Link light rail construction in Bellevue. In the South Bellevue segment area, traffic on 112th Avenue SE between Bellevue Way SE and SE 8th Street will be switched to the new roadway that will travel over the light rail trackway. In the BelRed area, traffic on NE 20th Street will switch to the outer lanes at the intersection of 136th Place NE, two-way traffic will be established on 136th Place NE and NE Spring Blvd between 134th Ave NE and 137th Place NE will be closed for a weekend. All work that is planned this month is weather dependent.
Check the city’s Traffic Advisories webpage for updates:
- @BvueTrans on Twitter
- SoundTransit.org/eastlink (“News and updates")
South Bellevue segment: 112th Avenue SE between Bellevue Way and SE 8th Street
- Thursday, Nov. 14 at 7 a.m. through Saturday, Nov. 16 at 7 a.m.: The northbound lane of 112th Avenue SE will be closed; the southbound lane will be open.
- Saturday, Nov. 16 at 7 a.m. through Sunday, Nov. 18 at 8 p.m.: All lanes of 112th Avenue between Bellevue Way and SE 8th Street will be closed.
Local access for Bellefield Residential Park neighbors will be available only through the south entrance/exit and guided by traffic control personnel.
The closures are needed to complete construction of the road-over-rail segment of the light rail alignment.
View details and map in Sound Transit’s construction alert.
BelRed segment: 136th Place NE, NE 20th Street and NE Spring Blvd
- Traffic switch to outer lanes of NE 20th Street at intersection with 136th Place NE starting as early as Monday, Nov. 18 through Friday, Nov. 29: In order to complete the build out of the intersection, traffic will be directed to the outer lanes of NE 20th Street. Lane reduction continues on NE 20th Street. (Diagram: Changes to NE 20th Street Traffic Flow)
- Two-way traffic allowed on 136th Place NE starting as early as Monday, Nov. 18: 136th Place NE will reopen with two-way traffic. This is reflective of the final configuration of traffic flow – with one direction northbound, one direction southbound and the light rail trackway in the center. Access to businesses on the west side of 136th Place NE will be from NE 20th Street. Access to businesses on the west side of 136th Place NE will be from NE Spring Blvd. U-turns are permitted at the intersection of 136th Place NE and NE Spring Blvd. Pedestrian and vehicle crossings 136th Place NE are prohibited; however, sidewalk/pedestrian paths will be maintained. (Diagram: Overview of traffic on 136th Place NE)
- Weekend closure of NE Spring Boulevard between 134th Avenue NE and 137th Place NE, Friday, Nov. 22 at 6 p.m. through Monday, Nov. 25 at 6 a.m.: Closure is needed to conduct roadway removal, grading and asphalt activities. All access to 136th Place NE will be from NE 20th Street. Detour signs in place to direct traffic to area businesses. (Diagram: Traffic flow during NE Spring Blvd closure)
- Traffic and access after NE Spring Blvd. weekend closure, Monday, November 25 through Friday, November 29: Access to 136th Place NE and NE Spring Blvd will be maintained from 134th Ave NE and NE 20th Street.
- Changes to traffic and access to 136th PL NE and NE Spring Blvd., Monday, December 2 through end of 2019: Starting as early as December 2, crews will be working at the intersection of 134th Ave NE and NE Spring Blvd., local access will be maintained on 134th Ave NE. All access to 136th Place NE and NE Spring Blvd will be from NE 20th Street.
Business access will be maintained: Access to businesses on the west side of 136th Place NE is available from eastbound NE 20th Street; access to businesses on the east side of 136th Place NE is available via NE Spring Boulevard and 136th Place. U-turns are allowed at the intersection of 136th Place NE and NE Spring Boulevard. Access to all other businesses will be maintained.
Reminder: Closure of 124th Avenue NE: In order to build a bridge on 124th Avenue NE to accommodate light rail underneath, the city has closed a portion of 124th Avenue NE between NE 12th Street/Bel-Red Road and Northup Way. Access to businesses along 124th Avenue NE will be maintained from either direction of the closure. Detour routes are available. See details and maps at BellevueWA.gov/124thavenecorridor.
Central Bellevue segment: 110th Avenue NE
The northern portion of 110th Ave NE from the driveway to City Hall to NE 6th Street is now open. There is a permanent mid-block crossing. The northbound curb lane will be closed so that work on the north tunnel portal and Bellevue Downtown Station can continue.
For Skyline Tower and City Center Plaza buildings, left turns in and out of the garages have been permanently eliminated for safety reasons.
Access Bellevue mailer Jan. 2019
In January 2019, homes and businesses in Bellevue received a "Access Bellevue" mailer (booklet) that includes a recap and look ahead of East Link light rail construction, an update on city projects and initiatives in BelRed, a status of park improvements, and resource lists for businesses, neighborhoods and commuters.
Access Bellevue Communications Committee
In late 2016, the city formed the Access Bellevue Communications Committee as an information-sharing network. Representatives include large and small employers, transportation and transit agencies and business advocacy organizations. The committee is typically convened when there are significant construction updates to share that will present mobility impacts in and around Bellevue. Typically, Sound Transit provides an update on East Link light rail construction.
Bellevue Traveler Information Survey Results
In July 2017, an online survey was conducted to find out how people who commute to/from Bellevue get traveler information about Bellevue.
- Slideshow - Overview of Bellevue Traveler Information survey results
- Bellevue Traveler Information Survey Report
Access Bellevue Resources
- BelRed Transformation - Transportation Projects Map (Aug2019)
- Access Bellevue Communications Plan for 2017-2018 (March 2017)
- Major projects map - city wide (Jan 2017)
- Sound Transit East Link construction alerts
- Bellevue Traffic Advisories
- Live traffic cameras in Bellevue
- Access Bellevue/East Link construction alerts
- City Office of Economic Development e-newsletter for construction alerts and other news