Last updated: Aug. 6, 2020
The following traffic advisories reflect current conditions as they are known. The listings below reflect construction work that can affect travel on city streets, sidewalks, and trails. Expect traffic delays or use an alternate route, if possible. Please obey construction signs and flaggers. Construction will be conducted in accordance with COVID-19 safety precautions.
This page is regularly updated. To receive updates via text or email, select the "subscribe" button. To verify the current status or give feedback, contact the staff person listed to the right.
Click on the different-colored shapes in the map above for more information. Move or enlarge the map using your cursor.
Bellevue Healthy Streets Pilot
As part of the city’s response to the COVID-19 crisis, the Transportation Department has implemented four Healthy Streets pilot projects. Portions of residential streets (map) are being temporarily closed to non-local vehicle traffic to provide more room for people in the neighborhood to move while physically distancing during COVID-19. Local access for residents and essential services will be maintained, as well as on-street parking. Bellevue Healthy Streets will remain closed to non-local vehicle traffic pending further guidance on social distancing from the Governor’s Office and public health officials, or as directed by the City of Bellevue. Visit project page for details.
- UPDATED--ENDS Aug. 7: 121st/122nd/123rd Ave SE, from SE 46th Pl to SE 56th St (mailer)
- NE 5th St/98th Ave NE/NE 1st St, from close to NE 8th St to 100th Ave NE (mailer)
- SE 4th St between 152nd Pl SE/154th Ave SE and 164th Ave SE (mailer)
- 165th/166th Aves NE/SE between Northup Way and SE 14th Street (mailer)
Current construction impacts
- NEW-- NE 8th Street between 102nd Ave NE and Bellevue Way NE westbound closure ; Aug. 8, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. for crane mobilization.
- NEW-- 124th Avenue NE between NE Spring Blvd and Ichigo Way (Metro driveways) one-way traffic, Aug. 10-11, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Follow flaggers instructions. Expect delays. Traffic control for roadway paving.
- UPDATE--108th Ave between NE 4th Street and NE 8th Street (555 Office Towers) roadway closure: Aug. 14, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closure needed to stage crane. Pedestrian and bikes will have access on east sidewalk. Emergency vehicle access and access to businesses maintained.
- Mountains to Sound Greenway Trail: Ongoing through end of 2020. Early traffic impacts will include a temporary lower speed limit (25 mph) and narrower lanes on SE 36th St from Factoria Blvd to 132nd Ave SE. Visit project webpage for more information.
- I-405 Trail closed daily Mon. through Fri. 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Follow signed detour
- NE 2nd Street between 105th Ave NE and 105th Place NE: Alley between 106th and 105th (Bellevue Plaza Tower 1)
- Aug. 3 - Sept. 4: Daily 24/7 closures. Work hours Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and Sat. 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pedestrian and bicycle access on north side of roadway. Sidewalk on south side is currently closed. Closure needed for storm water connections.
- 108th Ave NE Complete Street Project: Main Street to NE 4th, July 13 to Sept. 30, Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Intermittent lane closures. Access to NE 2nd Place closed during work hours. Installation of bike lane. (Project webpage)(Construction alert)
- SE 3rd Street at 101st Ave SE: Full closure (24/7) of portion of roadway. Starting Mon. July 6 and lasting up to 25 consecutive days. Construction to improve intersection through fall 2020. Approved work hours Mon.- Fri. 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Construction Alert
- West Lake Sammamish Parkway Phase 2 Detour July 6- June 3, 2021: Closure of southbound lane and through access on West Lake Sammamish Parkway NE between Northup Way and NE 24th Street. Most southbound traffic will be detoured at NE 24th Street to 173rd Ave SE, with local access available between NE 24th Street and NE 16th Place. All local traffic entering West Lake Sammamish Pkwy between Northup Way and NE 24th Street must travel northbound. Northbound travel will remain open for access to adjacent properties. Northbound access will remain open for access to adjacent properties. Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout the project. Northbound bicycle access will be maintained using the travel lane, while southbound cyclists will be detoured at SE 15th Place. Construction ongoing through winter 2021. Approved work hours: Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Construction Alert)(Project webpage)
- NOTE: Republic Services will be collecting garbage, recycle and organics on the regular service day. Carts will need to be out by 6 a.m.. For questions, call Republic Services at 425-452-4761.
- SE Newport Way: Ongoing through November 23. One lane westbound closure, 24 hours a day/7 days a week. The eastbound directional closure of SE Newport Way is between SE Allen Road/SE Somerset Blvd and 150th Ave SE. Closure needed to construct slopes, walls, underground utilities, and widening. Subsequent disturbance activities within detour routes will be restricted. Local access must also follow the established detour routes. Approved work hours Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Emergency access into the closure area will remain. The roadway is further closed to bicycles and pedestrians. (Detour Update mailer) (Project webpage)
- AC Main Replacement 2020 Phase 1 Project:
- June 24 - Aug. 31: Intermittent lane closures on NE 42nd Street and 91st Ave NE. Approved work hours are Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closures needed for water main replacement.
- July 7 through July 31: Intermittent lane closures on NE 24th Street between Bellevue Way NE and 112th Ave NE. Approved work hours are Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Meydenbauer Basin NE 8th St and 100th Ave NE Flood Control Project: Ongoing, Mon - Fri, 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. The project will address recurrent street flooding at NE 8th and 100th Ave NE by constructing a bypass pipeline to better carry stormwater during heavy rains. Local access to Bellevue Square Mall and the Mondrian Condominiums will be maintained. Visit the Meydenbauer Flood Control Project webpage for details.
136th Ave NE Inlet Station and NE 8th St Transmission Main project: June 15, 2020 through summer 2021, 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Mon-Fri. Project limits: NE 8th St from 126th Ave NE to 140th Ave NE (transmission main) and 136th Ave NE north of 8th (inlet station site). Visit project webpage for more information.
NE 8th St—Reduced traffic lanes and flaggers through transmission main work zone
NE 8th St & 140th Ave NE—Intersection traffic revisions for connection to Seattle Public Utility regional supply pipeline
136th Ave NE—Temporary bypass road through inlet station work zone (serving four residents)
- Cherry Crest Pump Station Replacement: Ongoing through fall 2020, Mon - Fri, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. Watch for detours and road closures. Visit project webpage for more information.
- 127th Ave NE from NE 24th St to NE 29th St
- NE 29th St from 127th Ave NE to 126th Ave NE
- 126th Ave NE from NE 29th St to NE 30th St
- 177th Ave NE and NE 16th St: Ongoing, Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with the exception of Wed (no work). Bellevue Utilities Department contractors will be making repairs to critical storm drains. Please anticipate some delays. A portion of the sidewalk along NE 16th St will be closed for access. Project map
- Signal pole installation - 3 locations, July 16 – Sept. 4, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.. Single lane closures. Work occurring at locations at varying dates and times.
- 148th Avenue SE & SE 16th Street
- 148th Avenue SE & SE 22nd Street
- Richards Road & SE 26th Street
- SE 16th St walkway (160th Ave SE to SE 16th St cul-de-sac): Ongoing, Mon - Fri, 7 a.m. - 4 p.m. The project will be in flagging operation by alternating traffic on SE 16th St.
Pavement Preservation Program
Check out the Pavement Preservation Update for paving locations and approximate work dates. For more information about the paving program, including weekly updates, go to the Pavement Preservation Program webpage.
- UPDATED--159th Pl SE & SE 7th, 159th Pl SE & SE 8th, 159th & SE 9th St and 160th Ave SE & SE 10th, 156th & SE 11th - 154th-SE 9th and 163rd (between SE 7 - SE 10th): Ongoing through Aug. 14, Mon – Fri, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. Utilities adjustments.
East Link Light Rail construction
South Bellevue [Ongoing impacts]
Bellevue Way SE restoration; traffic impacts: Portions of the roadway are planned to be paved in summer 2020. Weekend full and partial closures are planned from June through September. The closure area is between the "Y" intersection at Bellevue Way and 112th Ave SE south to I-90. Read details in a mailer. Work is weather dependent.
- Weekend full closure of Bellevue Way SE: Sat. Aug. 15 at 7 a.m. through Sun. Aug 16 at 9 p.m. Closure is from the "Y" intersection at 112th Ave SE and Bellevue Way SE to I-90. Ramps to and from I-90 will be closed. Detour to I-90 and I-405 via 112th Ave SE and SE 8th Street. Local access to residences on Bellevue Way SE will be maintained. No access to Sweylocken Boat Launch during closure. Access to the Mercer Slough Nature Park available from 118th Ave SE. NOTE: Full closures planned for Aug. 22-23 and Aug. 29-30. (Schedule subject to change)
- Weekday lane restrictions, ongoing, Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Bellevue Way SE from the future light rail station north to the “Y” intersection at 112th Ave SE. One lane in each direction.
Central Bellevue [Ongoing impacts]
- 112th Ave NE and Main Street curb work: Begins July 13; lasting 2-3 weeks. Sidewalk and right lane closures for curb work on 112th Ave NE and Main Street (northeast curb corner). Work hours: Mon. - Fri. 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Two-way traffic and driveway access will be maintained. (Construction alert)
- NE 8th Street between 116th Ave NE and 120th Ave NE: Westbound and eastbound left lane closures starting Mon. July 6 and lasting up to 6 weeks. Two-way traffic will be maintained. Approved work hours Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closures need to build median island. Work is weather dependent. (Construction Alert)
North Bellevue (BelRed) [Ongoing impacts]
UPDATED--NE Spring Blvd from 132nd Ave NE to 134th Ave NE nightly closures: Aug. 17 - 20, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. nightly eastbound closure needed to inspect and test storm water systems. Local business access maintained until 8 p.m. Through traffic prohibited. Schedule subject to change. (Construction alert)
136th Place NE/NE Spring Blvd intersection closure: Aug. 10 to Aug. 24 (schedule change). Access will be maintained on 136th Place NE and NE Spring Blvd. No U-turns allowed. (Construction alert)
136th Place NE from NE Spring Blvd to NE 20th Street: Nightly full closures through Fri. Aug. 14, 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Closures needed to test drainage system and for roadway construction.
NEW--SR 520 nightly lane closures (Redmond) for construction of pedestrian bridge Aug. 6- 15. More details at WSDOT's contstruction webpage.
Other agency projects
- UPDATED--Washington State Department of Transportation: Renton to Bellevue I-405 Widening and Express Toll Lane Project: More information on WSDOT's I-405 construction alert webpage.
- Nightly lane closures Aug. 10 - 14, various locations
- Puget Sound Energy -- Lake Hills-Phantom Lake Transmission Line (NE 8th St and 148th Ave SE): Construction is expected to occur in three phases: Phase 1: Vegetation removal; Phase 2: Pole and wire installation; Phase 3: Landscaping and restoration. Project webpage
- King County Coal Creek Sewer Upgrade Project: King County Wastewater Treatment Division is upgrading its regional sewer line that serves Bellevue and Newcastle. More details on project website.
- Field work underway to stabilize the bank around a sewer maintenance hole adjacent to Coal Creek. The Upper West/Red Cedar trailhead and parking lot will be closed on weekdays during much of August.
- Tree surveys taking place in the Natural Area, on 125th Ave SE and Forest Drive SE. Aug. 3 -21. Work hours 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- King County Lake Hills and NW Lake Sammamish Sewer Upgrade Project: Survey work begins July 13. Work needed to located underground utilities along West Lake Sammamish Parkway NE with minimal work near the Sammamish River Condominiums. Some work will require using the driving lanes; expect delays. More details in on project webpage.
- King County Sunset and Heathfield Pump Stations and Force Main Upgrade Project -- SE 35th Pl/SE 34th St, from 163rd Pl SE to 164th Pl SE; and SE Eastgate Way, 161st Ave to SE 35th Pl: Ongoing. Pedestrians and bicyclists will be detoured at times. Project website
Single lane closures on SE 35th Place: Begins July 15 and lasts 2-3 weeks, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. to continue landscape restoration between SE Eastgate Way and 164th Place SE. Work is weather permitting.
Washington State Department of Transportation: NW Sammamish Road (Issaquah), eastbound lane closure through the summer. Traffic detoured to I-90. More details on I-90 - Eastgate to SR 900 - Corridor Improvements project webpage.
- Eastrail: Washington State Department of Transportation, in partnership with King County Parks, is overseeing construction of 2.5 miles of new paved Eastrail in Renton and Bellevue. Visit WSDOT's project webpage for more details.
Highway traffic information
Three major highways run through Bellevue. At any given time the state Department of Transportation may be working on projects that can affect traffic in Bellevue. For the most up-to-date information on construction activity, visit WSDOT's web pages: