Last updated: Jan. 21, 2021
The following traffic advisories reflect current conditions as they are known. The listings below reflect construction work that can affect travel on city streets, sidewalks, and trails. Expect traffic delays or use an alternate route, if possible. Please obey construction signs and flaggers. Construction will be conducted in accordance with COVID-19 safety precautions.
This page is typically updated each Thursday. To receive updates via text or email, select the "subscribe" button. To verify the current status or give feedback, contact the staff person listed to the right.
Be sure to follow us on @BvueTrans to get up-to-date alerts.
Click on the different-colored shapes in the map above for more information. Move or enlarge the map using your cursor.
Current construction impacts
- NEW--105th Ave NE between NE 25th St and NE 26th St (Home Project 220): Roadway closed Feb. 2, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., for crane truss delivery over powerlines.
- 112th Ave NE between NE 8th and NE 10th streets (Plaza East, 1100 NE 8th St); Southbound 112th Ave NE closed, Jan. 23 and Feb. 13 from 9 a.m. to 6 a.m. to stage a mobile crane. Sidewalk on west side of 112th Ave NE closed; access available on east side.
- 2020 AC Main Replacement Phase 2 Project: Work to replace a water main; expect minor traffic revisions at
- NE 23rd Street between 98th Ave NE and 100th Ave NE through January 2021
- NE 37th Place (west of 92nd Ave NE) in Yarrow Point through February 2021
- 124th Ave NE between NE 8th Street and NE 12th Street Safety Improvements: Construction ongoing through February. Expect directional closures. Approved work hours: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Mon.-Fri. Construction for new sidewalk, curb ramps, median with flashing beacon and mid-block crossing. Follow flaggers' instructions. (Project webpage)(Construction alert mailer)
- Mountains to Sound Greenway Trail: Construction ongoing through early 2021. Traffic impacts will include a temporary lower speed limit (25 mph) and narrower lanes on SE 36th St from Factoria Blvd to 132nd Ave SE. Visit project webpage for more information.
- NE 12th Street between 120th Ave NE and 124th Ave NE: Intermittent westbound lane closures Jan. 4 - Feb. 19, 2021 for mainline sanitary sewer installation. Approved work hours, Mon. - Fri. 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Expect traffic delays; use alternate route.
- 2020 AC Main Replacement Phase 3 Project: Work to replace a water main is ongoing through January 2021. Expect minor traffic revisions at 103rd Place NE
- 2020 AC Main Replacement Phase 1 Project: Work to replace a water main is ongoing at the following locations and is expected to be complete by Feb. 2021. Expect minor traffic revisions at:
- NE 122nd Ave NE, NE 36th Street, NE 37th Street and NE 39th Street (Pike's Peak)
- 90th Ave NE between NE 28th Street and NE 26th Street and the 9000 block of NE 26th Street (Clyde Hill)
- NE 16th Street from 88th Ave NE to 90th Ave NE (Clyde Hill)
- NE 12th Street Multipurpose Path Project: Closure of westbound curb lane on NE 12th Street between 112th Ave NE and 108th Ave NE to expand the existing 5-foot wide sidewalk to a 12-foot wide multipurpose path, including accessibility upgrades to curb ramps and to expand the current planter strip from 3 feet to 5 feet in width. (Project webpage)
- West Lake Sammamish Parkway Phase 2 Detour July 6- June 3, 2021: Construction ongoing to build a multipurpose path, replace a water main and pave the roadway. Closure of southbound lane and through access on West Lake Sammamish Parkway NE between Northup Way and NE 24th Street. Most southbound vehicular traffic will be detoured at NE 24th Street to 173rd Ave NE, with local southbound vehicular access available between NE 24th Street and NE 16th Place. All local traffic entering West Lake Sammamish Pkwy between Northup Way and NE 24th Street must travel northbound. Northbound travel will remain open for access to adjacent properties. Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout the project. Northbound bicycle access will be maintained using the travel lane, while southbound cyclists will be detoured at SE 15th Place. Construction ongoing through winter 2021. Approved work hours: Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Construction Alert)(Project webpage)
- NOTE FOR PEOPLE BIKING: All southbound cyclists will be required to dismount their bicycles and walk them through the work zone between NE 15th Place and Northup Way.
- NOTE: Republic Services will be collecting garbage, recycle and organics on the regular service day. Carts will need to be out by 6 a.m.. For questions, call Republic Services at 425-452-4761.
- 136th Ave NE Inlet Station and NE 8th Street Transmission Main project: In June 2020, construction began on a new water inlet station and transmission main to draw water from the Seattle Public Utilities' regional supply line in the ears (the Tolt Eastside Line, or TESSL). Construction ongoing through summer 2021. Expect reduced lanes restrictions on NE 8th Street. Approved work hours: Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Project limits: NE 8th St from 126th Ave NE to 140th Ave NE (transmission main) and 136th Ave NE north of 8th (inlet station site). Visit project webpage for more information.
- Lake Hills Connector-SE 5th Street Storm Repair Project: Construction begins mid-November to repair a developing sink hole underneath the sidewalk along Lake Hills Connector just south of SE 5th Street. Expect traffic delays due to construction equipment, construction work and reduced number of lanes at the construction area. Approved work hours are Mon.-Fri. 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Work expected to be complete in January 2021.
East Link Light Rail construction
South Bellevue [Ongoing impacts]
NEW--Bellevue Way SE (by Winters House): Northbound right lane from the Winters House on Bellevue Way SE to the “Y” at 112th Avenue SE closed Sat. Jan. 23 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Closure is needed to operate a vacuum truck to clean the water treatment system. Expect noise.
UPDATED--Bellevue Way SE to westbound I-90 HOV on-ramp closed daily Jan. 20-22 and Jan. 25-29, 6 am. to 3 p.m.
UPDATED: 112th Ave SE between SE 8th Street and Main Street: Right lane closure southbound daily, Jan. 19-22 and Jan. 25-29 from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Central Bellevue [Ongoing impacts]
- Southbound 110th Ave NE closed, NE 2nd Place to NE 3rd Place: Closure ongoing through 2021. Closure needed for excavation and construction of a tunnel ventilation and access shaft to the main tunnel beneath 110th Ave NE. Follow detour southbound traffic.
North Bellevue (BelRed) [Ongoing impacts]
NEW--SR520 Overnight closures: Eastbound and westbound closures of SR 520 between NE 40th Street and 148th Ave NE through Redmond through the end of January 2021 as crews continue to install a pair of pedestrian bridges over the roadway.
Pavement Preservation Program
The 2020 paving season resulted in 33.5 lane-miles resurfaced, 23,000+ tons of asphalt placed and 47 curb ramps upgraded. Thank you for your patience. For more information about the paving program, including weekly updates, go to the Pavement Preservation Program webpage.
Other agency projects
- Washington State Department of Transportation: SR520 Bridge Replacement and HOV Program. More information on Project webpage.
- UPDATED--Washington State Department of Transportation: Renton to Bellevue I-405 Widening and Express Toll Lane Project: More information on WSDOT's I-405 construction alert webpage. Nighttime construction on I-405 in Bellevue ongoing. Work Notice and Map
- Thursday, Jan. 21 to the morning of Friday, Jan. 22
- The HOV lane of southbound I-405 between I-90 and Coal Creek Parkway Southeast will close from 9 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- The HOV lane of northbound I-405 between Coal Creek Parkway Southeast and Northeast Sixth Street will close from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The HOV lane of southbound I-405 between Lake Washington Boulevard Southeast and Northeast 44th Street will close from 10:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Monday, Jan. 25 to the morning of Tuesday, Jan. 26 – The HOV lane of southbound I-405 between Lake Washington Boulevard Southeast and Northeast 44th Street will close from 10:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Monday, Jan. 25 to the morning of Friday, Jan. 29 – The HOV lane of southbound I-405 between SR 167 and I-5 will close from 9:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly.
- Wednesday, Jan. 27 to the morning of Thursday, Jan. 28
- The right lane of northbound I-405 between SR 169 and Sunset Boulevard North will close from 9:15 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. The Sunset Boulevard North on-ramp will close from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- The right lane of northbound I-405 between Southport Drive and Northeast 30th Street will close from 9 p.m. to 4:30 a.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 28 to the morning of Friday, Jan. 29
- The right lane and merge lane of northbound I-405 between SR 181 and SR 167 will close from 11 p.m. to 4:30 a.m.
- The right lane of northbound I-405 between I-5 and SR 167 will close from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 21 to the morning of Friday, Jan. 22
- King County Coal Creek Sewer Upgrade Project: King County Wastewater Treatment Division is upgrading its regional sewer line that serves Bellevue and Newcastle. More details on project website.
- King County Lake Hills and NW Lake Sammamish Sewer Upgrade Project: More details on project webpage.
- King County Sunset and Heathfield Pump Stations and Force Main Upgrade Project: More details on project website.
Washington State Department of Transportation: NW Sammamish Road (Issaquah): More information on project webpage.
Eastrail: Washington State Department of Transportation, in partnership with King County Parks, is overseeing construction of 2.5 miles of new paved Eastrail in Renton and Bellevue. Visit WSDOT's project webpage for more details.
Highway traffic information
Three major highways run through Bellevue. At any given time the state Department of Transportation may be working on projects that can affect traffic in Bellevue. For the most up-to-date information on construction activity, visit WSDOT's web pages: