Upcoming TRACKS Activities:
Avalanche Awareness - presented by Northwest Avalanche Center
Not sure if you're heading into potential avalanche territory? Want to know more about the causes of avalanches, the warning signs and red flags for increased avalanche danger, and backcountry hazards? Come join us and find out more! This seminar is an introduction to recognizing avalanche terrain, knowing the primary factors that cause avalanches, and ways to avoid avalanche danger, including pre-trip planning and using local avalanche bulletins and mountain weather forecasts. This event is free and open to the public; pre-registration is not required.
- Jan 15, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- North Bellevue Community Center
4063 148th Ave NE
Family Snowshoe Trips
Looking to get outside with your family this winter? Snowshoeing is the perfect family activity. We will explore kid-friendly beginner trails in the region. Transportation and snowshoes are provided. Locations are weather-dependent. Please make sure to pack water and lunch snacks, and wear boots and warm winter clothing. Pre-registration is required for all family members.
- Ages: 7 and older
- Fees: $20/resident and $25/non-resident
- Meet at: Lewis Creek Visitor Center parking lot
- Time: 7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Tuesday Trails 50+ Snowshoe Hikes
This winter we will be heading out on weekly snowshoe hikes. The locations and trails will be beginner friendly, mostly flat, and no more than two miles in length. Pre-registration is required. All trips and locations are dependent on weather and snow conditions. Transportation and snowshoes will be provided. Please make sure to dress for the weather and bring water, snack and lunch.
- Ages: 50 years and older
- Fee: $15
- Meet at: North Bellevue Community Center
4063 148th Ave NE
- Days/Time: Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Register online:
- Jan 21, register for course 2000567
- Jan 28, register for course 2000569
- Feb 4, register for course 2000570
- Feb 11, register for course 2000571
- Feb 18, register for course 2000572
- Feb 25, register for course 2000574
- For more information, contact email@example.com or call 425-452-6885.
Backcountry Film Festival
Produced each year as a celebratory, backcountry community event by the Winter Wildlands Alliance, the 15th Annual Backcountry Film Festival film line-up is full of snowy, cinematic adventure. Winter Wildlands Alliance is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting and preserving winter wildlands and a quality human-powered snow sports experience on public lands. This is a partner event with The Mountaineers.
This event has been rescheduled from Jan 16 due to winter weather conditions. Original tickets will be honored.
- Date: Feb 13 (rescheduled from Jan 16)
- Time: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Location: Bellevue Youth Theatre, 16051 NE 10th Street, Bellevue 98008
- Ages: All ages welcome
- Cost: $11/Mountaineers members and Bellevue residents; $13/everyone else
- Tickets: Eventbrite
- More information: firstname.lastname@example.org 425 452 6883
TRACKS promotes outdoor adventure, youth leadership and environmental stewardship. TRACKS' mission is to encourage outdoor opportunities for all ages, abilities and income levels, opportunities that develop life skills and knowledge for a healthy community.
TRACKS was started in the spring of 2007 amid growing concern and research identifying a "nature deficit" in society. Since its inception, TRACKS has effectively infused many Bellevue programs and activities with its six key standards:
- Teaching: teaches skills people can recreate on their own (Urban Cycling Techniques).
- Recreation: provides a healthy option to enhance fitness (Family and Friends Snowshoe Adventure).
- Adventure: offers opportunities for active, experiential learning (Teens Outside High Adventure Camps).
- Competency: helps build skill mastery (Skaters in the Woods).
- Knowledge: promotes understanding of the natural environment (Eastside Explorers Speaker Series).
- Stewardship encourages and creates opportunities for stewardship and volunteer service (Stewardship Saturdays, Teens Outside).
To volunteer with the TRACKS program, or if you are a teen looking for service hours, please email TRACKS@bellevuewa.gov.
Look for TRACKS in the Connections recreation brochure to find classes, activities and events that are part of the TRACKS initiative.
View Ken Burns' "National Parks: America’s Greatest Idea" clip about youth and the outdoors.