Janice Zahn joined the City Council in November 2017, after being elected earlier that month to fill the previously vacated Position 5 seat. Janice, who is engineering director at the Port of Seattle, strives to make the city more strategic, regional and communicative. She has lived in Bellevue since 1994.
Janice’s priorities include managing Bellevue’s rapid growth to address “the increasing tension between livability and economic vitality,” ensuring more streets serve a variety of users and finding ways to make housing more affordable for all who want to live in Bellevue.
Janice represents the council on the King County Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee, the National League of Cities Transportation and Infrastructure Services Committee and the King County Cities Climate Collaboration. She is also council liaison to the Issaquah School Board and Transportation Commission.
Noting Bellevue’s diversity, Janice wants to ensure that the city continues its work to be more inclusive and celebrate the richness of its culture.
Janice served on the city’s Transportation Commission from 2013 to 2017. She has also been a Girl Scout leader and participated with the PTSA. In 1997 and 1998, she participated in the city’s Advance Bellevue community leadership program. She volunteers with The Sophia Way, an Eastside nonprofit that provides shelter for homeless women.
An immigrant from Hong Kong, Janice lives in the Greenwich Crest neighborhood with her husband Dwain and daughters, Megan and Leah. She is an active member of the Aldersgate United Methodist Church.
Janice holds a master’s degree in public administration from the University of Washington Evans School, as well as a Master of Science degree in structural engineering and mechanics and a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, both from the University of Washington.
Council Assignments and Appointments
- King County Regional Transit Committee
- King County Cities Climate Collaboration
- King County Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee
- National League of Cities Asian Pacific American Municipal Officials
- National League of Cities Transportation and Infrastructure Services Committee
- National League of Cities Western Municipal Association
- Puget Sound Regional Council Transportation Policy Board Alternate
- Sound Cities Association Public Issues Committee
- State Department of Transportation I-405/SR 167 Executive Advisory Group and I-5 Study Group
- Issaquah School Board Liaison
- LEOFF 1 Pension Board Liaison
- Transportation Commission Liaison
Past Assignments and Appointments
- Association of Washington Cities Federal Legislative Priorities Committee
- King County Board of Health
- King County Regional Transportation System Elected Officials Meeting
- Puget Sound Regional Council Regional Transit-Oriented Development Advisory Committee
- Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee
- Bellevue Convention Center Authority Liaison
- King County Flood Control District Advisory Committee
- Bellevue School Board Liaison
- Parks & Community Services Board Liaison
- Disability Board Liaison
- Bellevue Sister Cities Association Liaison
- Youth Link Board Liaison
- Transportation Commission, 2013-2017 (chair 2016-2017)
- International School PTSA Board, 2014-present
- Bellevue Nourishing Network, 2012-present
- The Sophia Way – volunteer, 2013-present
- Girl Scouts of America – South Bellevue troop leader, 2004-2015
- Advance Bellevue Community Leadership Program, 1997-1998
- Port of Seattle, Seattle
- Assistant Director of Engineering, 2008-present
- Seaport Capital Construction Manager, 2007-2008
- Construction Manager, Seaport, 2004-2007
- Consultant, 2000-2004
- Berger/ABAM Engineers, Federal Way, Project Manager/Engineer, 1996-1999
- TrusJoist MacMillan, Boise, Idaho, Strategic Product Development Engineer/Manager, 1995-1996
- Berger/ABAM Engineers, Federal Way, Project/Design Engineer, 1992-1995
- Weyerhaeuser Co., Tacoma, Product Development Engineer/Manager, 1987-1992
- University of Washington Evans School, Executive Master of Public Administration
- University of Washington, Master of Science, Structural Engineering and Mechanics
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Science, Structural Engineering and Mechanics