Janice Zahn joined the City Council in November 2017, after being elected earlier that month to fill the previously vacated Position 5 seat. A longtime construction manager at the Port of Seattle, Janice strives to make the city more strategic, regional and communicative. She has lived in Bellevue since 1994.
Janice’s priorities include managing Bellevue’s rapid growth to address “the increasing tension between livability and economic vitality,” ensuring more streets serve a variety of users and finding ways to make housing more affordable for all who want to live in Bellevue.
Janice represents the council on the Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee, the I-405/SR 167 Executive Advisory Group and the King County Flood Control District Advisory Committee. She is also council liaison to the Bellevue and Issaquah school boards and the Disability and Youth Link boards.
Noting Bellevue’s diversity, Janice wants to ensure that the city continues its work to be more inclusive and celebrate the richness of its culture.
Janice served on the city’s Transportation Commission from 2013 to 2017. She has also been a Girl Scout leader and participated with the PTSA. In 1997 and 1998, she participated in the city’s Advance Bellevue community leadership program. She volunteers with The Sophia Way, an Eastside nonprofit that provides shelter for homeless women.
An immigrant from Hong Kong, Janice lives in the Greenwich Crest neighborhood with her husband, Dwain, and daughters, Megan and Leah. She is an active member of the Aldersgate United Methodist Church.
Janice holds a master’s degree in public administration from the University of Washington Evans School, as well as a Master of Science degree in structural engineering and mechanics and a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering, both from the University of Washington.
Council Assignments and Appointments
- Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee
- I-405/SR 167 Executive Advisory Group
- King County Flood Control District Advisory Committee
- Puget Sound Regional Council Transportation Policy Board (alternate)
- Sound Cities Association Public Issues Committee (alternate)
- Bellevue School Board Liaison
- Disability Board Liaison
- Issaquah School Board Liaison
- Sister Cities Association Liaison
- Youth Link Board Liaison
- Transportation Commission, 2013-2017 (chair 2016-2017)
- International School PTSA Board, 2014-present
- Bellevue Nourishing Network, 2012-present
- The Sophia Way – volunteer, 2013-present
- Girl Scouts of America – South Bellevue troop leader, 2004-2015
- Advance Bellevue Community Leadership Program, 1997-1998
- Port of Seattle, Seattle
- Assistant Director of Engineering, 2008-present
- Seaport Capital Construction Manager, 2007-2008
- Construction Manager, Seaport, 2004-2007
- Consultant, 2000-2004
- Berger/ABAM Engineers, Federal Way, Project Manager/Engineer, 1996-1999
- TrusJoist MacMillan, Boise, Idaho, Strategic Product Development Engineer/Manager, 1995-1996
- Berger/ABAM Engineers, Federal Way, Project/Design Engineer, 1992-1995
- Weyerhaeuser Co., Tacoma, Product Development Engineer/Manager, 1987-1992
- University of Washington Evans School, Executive Master of Public Administration
- University of Washington, Master of Science, Structural Engineering and Mechanics
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Science, Structural Engineering and Mechanics