Councilmember Jared Nieuwenhuis was elected in November 2017 to the Bellevue City Council, for a four-year term starting in January 2018. His focus is on neighborhoods and results-oriented local government.
Jared represents the council on the Cascade Water Alliance's Finance and Management, Public Affairs, and Resource Management committees. He is council liaison to the Probation Advisory Board, Environmental Services Commission and Wilburton-Grand Connection Citizen Advisory Committee.
In his professional life, Jared manages marketing and communications for the Bellevue-based company HeR Interactive, which develops interactive and educational software for children and young adults. Jared is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin, pursued graduate studies at Brown University and is a graduate of both the Advance Bellevue and Bellevue Essentials community leadership programs.
Before joining the council, Jared served on the Bellevue Parks & Community Services Board. He has also served on the following other boards: Lifewire (which helps domestic violence victims), The Sophia Way (which helps women experiencing homelessness), the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce’s public affairs committee and the Lake Hills Neighborhood Association.
Jared is the son of Dutch parents and an immigrant from Canada, and has a personal understanding of the value of diversity and the important role it plays in Bellevue’s continuing efforts to be a more inclusive city. He and his wife Lori live in the Lake Hills neighborhood with a young daughter.
An avid cyclist, Jared enjoys riding through Bellevue’s neighborhoods while taking in the city’s unique characteristics, and spending time with the family at the newly-completed Downtown Park. He has lived in Bellevue since 2001.
Council Assignments and Appointments
- Cascade Water Alliance Finance and Management Committee
- Cascade Water Alliance Public Affairs Committee
- Cascade Water Alliance Resource Management Committee
- Probation Advisory Board Liaison
- Environmental Services Commission Liaison
- Wilburton-Grand Connection Citizen Advisory Committee Liaison
- Parks & Community Services Board, 2016-2017
- LifeWire, Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Bellevue Chamber of Commerce, chair, public affairs committee, 2015-2018
- Lake Hills Neighborhood Association, board member, 2016-2018
- The Sophia Way, board member, 2012-2015
- HeR Interactive, Bellevue, Director of Marketing, 2010-present
- JN Consulting, Bellevue, Founder and Principal, 2008-2010
- Sandlot Games, Bothell, Vice President of Marketing, 2007-2008
- Vidiator, Bellevue, Director of Marketing Communications, 2006-2007
- Dijji Corporation, Seattle, Director of Marketing Communications, 2005-2006
- University of Washington, Certificate of Business Management
- Brown University, Political Science, Graduate Studies
- University of Wisconsin, Bachelor of Arts, International Relations and Political Science