John Stokes was elected to the City Council in 2011. He was re-elected in 2015, and elected mayor by the council for 2016 and 2017.
During his time on the council, John has advocated for affordable housing and livability in Bellevue and multi-modal transportation, as well as construction of an Eastside performing arts center.
Councilmember Stokes chairs the Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee and the Cascade Water Alliance Board. John also serves on the Economic Development Council of Seattle & King County, the King Conservation District Advisory Committee and the King County Regional Affordable Housing Task Force. He is council liaison to the city’s Arts Commission.
A longtime advocate for education, John is a member of the Bellevue School District’s Fiscal Advisory Committee, and was also legislative director and finance officer for the Washington State PTA. As a longtime trustee of the Bellevue Schools Foundation, he chaired its Bridging the Achievement Gap Grant Committee.
Prior to joining the council, John was a member of the Parks and Community Services Board for three years. He also served on the Eastgate/I-90 Citizen Advisory Committee and the Bellevue Parks Yes! Levy Steering Committee.
In addition, John co-founded Eastside Pathways, a collective-impact nonprofit working to ensure that all children have the support they need to maximize their opportunities for productive, fulfilling lives.
John moved to Bellevue in 1991 from Dallas, Texas. A retired attorney, he holds a law degree from George Washington University and a bachelor's degree in political science from Texas Tech University.
He is married to Bettina Stokes, a retired accountant. Their daughter Genevieve graduated from Bellevue High School and the University of Washington. John is an avid reader and model railroader. He also enjoys gardening and an eclectic variety of music.
Council Assignments and Appointments
- Cascade Water Alliance (chair)
- Cascade Water Alliance Executive Committee
- Cascade Water Alliance Resource Management, Public Affairs, and Finance committees (alternate)
- Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee (chair)
- Economic Development Council of Seattle and King County Board and Executive Committee
- King Conservation District Advisory Committee/Executive Committee/Subcommittees
- WRIA 8 Salmon Recovery Council
- Arts Commission Liaison
- King County Regional Affordable Housing Task Force
- Tateuchi Center Process Liaison
- Eastside Rail Corridor
- Sound Cities Association Public Issues Committee
- Leadership Committee for Wrap-Around Services Program
Past Council Assignments and Appointments
- Eastside Transportation Partnership Steering Committee
- King County Flood Control District Advisory Committee
- Metropolitan Water Pollution Abatement Advisory Group (alternate)
- Puget Sound Regional Council Growth Management Policy Board (alternate)
- Puget Sound Regional Council Executive Board
- Puget Sound Regional Council Regional Transit-Oriented Development Advisory Committee (alternate)
- King County Regional Policy Committee
- Sound Cities Public Issues Committee
- Disability Board Liaison
- Jail Administration Elected Assembly
- Sound Transit East Link Collaborative Design Leadership
- Environmental Services Commission Liaison
- Parks and Community Services Board Member, 2008-2011
- Eastgate/I-90 Citizen Advisory Committee Member, 2010-2011
- Bellevue Parks Yes! Levy Steering Committee, 2007
- Bellevue Schools Foundation (BSF) Trustee, 2001-2010
- BSF Bridging the Achievement Gap Grant Committee Chair, 2002-2010
- BSF Grant Making and Resource Development Committees, 2003-Present
- Bellevue School District Fiscal Advisory Committee Member, 2010-Present
- BSD Instructional Materials Committee, 2003-2006
- BSD Disciplinary Appeals Committee, 2005-2011
- BSD Program Delivery Committee Revision and Oversight Team, 1995-2005
- Bellevue PTSA (BPTSA) Council President, 1999-2001
- BPTSA Officer Positions and Council Board Member, 1999-2010
- Woodridge Elementary PTSA President, 1993-1994
- Chinook Middle School & Bellevue High School PTSA Offices
- Washington State PTA (WSPTA) Legislative Director, 2001-2003
- WSPTA Finance Officer, 2005
- WSPTA Legislative Focus Day Co-Chair, 2009
- WSPTA Region 6 Service Delivery Team, 2002- 2008
- Eastside Heritage Center Board Member, 2009-Present, Treasurer, 2010-2012
- Friends of the Cedar River Watershed Board Member & Treasurer, 2009-Present
- Eastside Pathways Core Team Member, Board Member, 2011-2016
- National PTA Legislative and Field Service Committees, 2001-2007
- National PTA Trainer, 2003-2007
- Senior Attorney, SSA, Seattle Region, Office of Hearings & Appeals, Retired, 1991-2008
- Stokes Law Office, Dallas Texas, Solo Law Practice, 1985-1991
- Regional Counsel, US Department of Health & Social Services, Dallas, Texas
- Associate Attorney, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, Washington D.C. and New York City
- The George Washington University Law School, Juris Doctorate
- Texas Tech University, Bachelor of Arts, Political Science