• Indigency Screening Form

    You have the right to have an attorney represent you on any criminal charge. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may qualify for the appointment of a public defender. To find out if you qualify, you must interview by phone, online or in-person at the King County District Court - Bellevue Division. 

    Complete and submit this online form to see if you qualify for a public defender. A screener will contact you with the results. For any questions regarding the process, please contact the screener at publicdefense@bellevuewa.gov or 425-647-2412.

    Contact Information

    An email address is required for this form of screening. A public defense screener must be able to contact you to process your application and give you details about your public defender, if appointed.

    Public Assistance

    Assistance Received
    Please Describe

    Financial Information

    Do you work or have a job?

    Job Section

    Do you have a spouse or state registered domestic partner who lives with you?
    Does she/he work?
    Do you and/or your spouse or state registered domestic partner receive unemployment, Social Security, a pension, or workers’ compensation?
    Do you receive money from any other source?
    Do you own a home?
    Do you own a vehicle(s)?
    Please provide the following for all your vehicles
    Other than routine living expenses such as rent, utilities, food, etc., do you have other Monthly expenses such as child support payments, court-ordered fines or medical bills, etc.?
    Please identify each expense and how much you pay per month:
    Do you have money available to hire a private attorney?
    Do you own any jewelry or other items of value?


    Please read and agree to the following before submitting this indigency screening form:

    • I understand the court may ask for verification of the information provided above.
    • I agree to immediately report any change in my financial status to the court.

    “I certify under penalty of perjury under Washington State law that the above is true and correct. (Perjury is a criminal offense-see Chapter 9A.72 RCW)”