- Training schedule: Tentatively scheduled for early spring 2023
- Training site: Hybrid - Virtual instruction paired with outdoor in-person field trainings
- Length of commitment: Approximately five hours per month, up to 100 hours of service after training is completed. 100 hours not to exceed two-year period.
- Reports to: Bellevue Park Rangers
- Work environment: Outdoors and indoors
- Background check required: Yearly
- Age: Must be 18 or older
Bellevue Master Naturalists learn about our area’s ecology, geology, wildlife, plant life, cultural history, wetlands, forests and streams from professors, local professionals, scientists and park rangers. Master Naturalists focus on restoration and conservation efforts, and will help share their passion by working with and educating their community.
- Lead (or assist with) educational programs, activities, hikes, canoe tours, etc.
- Help lead Stewardship Saturday and Eco Friday volunteer projects
- Conduct environmental restoration at sites across the City of Bellevue
- Maintain restoration sites and monitor species survival at former restoration sites
- Assist with special events such as Bellevue Arbor Day and MLK Jr. Day of Service
- Steward the Bellevue trail system
Over the course of this training program, volunteers will meet with experts in virtual, workshop, and fieldtrip settings to cover various ecological topics. This program is free with a volunteer commitment of 100 hours of service to Bellevue’s Parks Department. For more information, please call 425-452-4195 or email Parks_Stewardship@Bellevuewa.gov.
- City of Bellevue resident. Residents of other cities will be considered if space allows.
- Understanding or interest in botany, horticulture, native plants, resource management, noxious weeds, restoration ecology or wildlife habitats.
- Desire to work outdoors in varied weather and site conditions.
- Experience in landscaping or grounds maintenance.
- Experience in interpretation and environmental education.
- Experience in volunteering and working as a team.
- The application period for the class of 2022 has closed. We will begin recruitment for the class of 2023 in the fall of 2022.
- Please sign up if you'd like to receive recruitment updates!
The City of Bellevue provides volunteer opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference and/or disability. If you need an ADA modification to participate in this program because of a disability, please contact us at Parks_Stewardship@BellevueWA.gov or 425-452-4195 (voice).