Our mission at the Conflict Resolution Center is to help you become better able to resolve conflicts. We have trainings, educational resources from other sites, and volunteer opportunities for you to master the art of conflict resolution and help others.
Volunteers willing to help mediate conflicts are vital to the success of the Conflict Resolution Center. With their help, neighbors and families find peaceful resolution. The volunteers gain something too, recognizing that phone conciliating and face to face mediating disputes is richly rewarding.
The volunteer primary responsibilities are to help Bellevue residents resolve conflicts. Tasks include: telephone conciliation (coaching, problem solving, arranging a mediation); database entry and other office tasks; conducting face-to-face mediation; facilitating group meetings and assisting with outreach, training and other program projects.
Our desired qualifications include excellent communication skills, commitment to respect exchanges between people, ability to assist people in solving their problems and ability to maintain confidentiality and impartiality. Basic computer skills and completion of extensive, specialized trainings with the Conflict Resolution Center are mandatory. We accept adults only.
Our expectation is that volunteers first apply for a 20 hour conciliation training, conducted annually. If selected, the volunteer would then take a three hour weekly daytime telephone conciliation shift for a minimum of 6 months. Once completed, the volunteer is eligible to take Basic Mediation Training and then enter our practicum to be certified as a mediator. That process can take a minimum of one additional year.
For more details about volunteering, you may contact us at 425-452-4091 or at BCRC@bellevuewa.gov.
- 24-hr Conciliation Training:
- This training is typically offered each fall, but due to COVID-19 we have postponed until February or March of 2021. If you would like to be contacted about this training, please email your request to BCRC@bellevuewa.gov.
Volunteer In-service Schedule
- Virtual In-Service: Tenancy in the Time of COVID, Oct. 1, 2020, 10:00 a.m. to noon.
- Please join us to learn how COVID has changed responsibilities for both landlords and tenants, and how to help rent repayment negotiations. RSVP to BCRC@bellevuewa.gov.
- Due to COVID-19, our training schedule is in flux. We will update this page as more information becomes available.