If you are interested in joining our team as a firefighter, you're in the right place. Our firefighters are passionate, enthusiastic, engaged individuals, driven to provide outstanding customer service and support a culture of excellence. We're committed to recruiting a diverse workforce to serve a diverse community.
Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician
Apply through the National Testing Network (NTN). Candidates must pass a written exam and a candidate physical ability test (CPAT). CPAT scores are accepted from the National Testing Network, Public Safety Testing or any accredited CPAT provider. A variety of test dates and locations are available.
Once you have applied, the following is a timeline of the hiring process:
- May - Bellevue Fire will pull scores that have been submitted on the NTN website on May 10, 2023. Only scores received prior to this deadline will be considered for the 2023 hiring process. We will contact the top 250 candidates via email on May 17, 2023.
- June - Rapid virtual video interviews will take place. Instructions for how to participate will be sent to applicants in late May or early June.
- July - In-person panel interviews will be held with the top scoring candidates.
- August - Candidates will participate in a final interview with the Bellevue Fire Chief. Conditional offers will be given to candidates moving forward in the process.
- September - Candidates will participate in a psychological evaluation as per their conditional offer.
- September/October - Candidates will complete a medical exam as the final step in their conditional offer.
- October - Official offer letters will be issued to candidates who are being hired as Bellevue firefighter recruits.
Minimum Job Requirements
- 18 years old at time of application
- U.S. citizen or lawful, permanent resident
- High school graduate/GED
- Valid driver’s license (Washington driver's license required at time of hire )
- Ability to read and speak English
- COVID-19 Vaccinated
Further information is available the National Testing Network.
If you are age 14-21 and interested in a future career as a firefighter, check out our Fire Explorer program. If you are looking for an administrative position, those opportunities are advertised on the general city employment page.