Season: Memorial Day to Labor Day, with some trainings during the spring
Job site: Mercer Slough Nature Park
Length of commitment: 4 months
Reports to: Park Rangers
Work Environment: Outdoors
Age: Must be 18 or older
Background check required: Yearly
Canoe Guide Naturalists work in partnership with Bellevue Park employees to host canoe tours of the Mercer Slough Nature Park (leaving from Enatai Beach Park) on weekend mornings during the summer. Canoe tours stop at points of interest along the way, point out the natural features of the park, and offer an interpretive narrative on the park’s wildlife, wetlands, and local history.
- Gather canoes, PFDs, safety vests, paddles and other equipment used for the trips.
- Provide an orientation about the Bellevue Parks & Community Services Department.
- Provide instruction on paddling techniques and canoe safety.
- Interpret the cultural and natural history of the area.
- Respond appropriately in case of an emergency.
- At least two years’ experience handling canoes, kayaks, or other small non-motorized boats.
- Ability to complete a short online training course.
- Ability to swim.
- Interest in wetland ecology, wildlife, and cultural history.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use handheld radio transceiver.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs., 20 lbs. overhead.
To learn more about availability, recruitment updates, and how to apply please contact the park ranger at MSEEC@BellevueWA.gov.
The City of Bellevue provides volunteer opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference and/or disability. If you need an ADA modification to participate in this program because of a disability, please contact us at Parks_Stewardship@BellevueWA.gov or 425-452-4195 (voice).