As Bellevue continues to grow, Bellevue Utilities is expanding the capacity and reliability of the City's water system for domestic use and fire protection. Construction has begun in June 2020 to construct a new water inlet station and transmission main to draw water from the Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) regional supply line in the area. Bellevue purchases its water from SPU.
The site for the new inlet station is located on 136th Ave NE just north of NE 8th St. The connection to the SPU supply line (called the Tolt Eastside Supply Line or “TESSL”) will be made at the intersection of 140th Ave NE and NE 8th St. A large transmission main pipe (approximately 24 inches in diameter) will be installed along NE 8th St and will connect to existing pipes in the City’s water system at the intersection of NE 8th St and 126th Ave NE.
Construction began the week of June 15, 2020 and is expected to last for approximately one year.
What to expect:
- Crews will install a shoring wall by drilling steel columns into the ground to hold back soil during excavation for the inlet station installation, followed by concrete forming and pouring, and other related work. These activities will involve trucks and machinery, could be noisy at times, and vibrations may be felt. All work will be conducted within the permitted limits for noise and vibrations.
- To build the water inlet station, the entrance of 136th Avenue NE will be blocked and used for the work area. A temporary bypass road will be created to allow property owners on 136th to access to their driveways at all times.
- Trucks, excavators, and other machinery will regularly occupy work areas to complete work. The active work zone on NE 8th St will move as the transmission main pipe is installed.
- Lane closures can be expected while crews install the transmission main pipe on NE 8th St.
- Flaggers will direct traffic around work areas and lane closures during active work. During non-work hours, traffic control measures will remain in place.
- Equipment will be staged and stored within the current active work zone.
- Work in the intersection of 140th Ave NE and NE 8th St will connect the new transmission main pipe to the TESSL. This work may last up to a month and may create traffic backups as some lanes will be closed to complete work. Flaggers will direct traffic and pedestrians around the work area. One crosswalk will be closed to complete the work in the intersection.