East Link light rail construction is underway in south Bellevue, Central Bellevue (Downtown) and North Bellevue (BelRed.) Construction activities will sometimes impact how you access the city. Your patience in planning your commute in advance and your understanding that construction schedules often change are appreciated.
Below are current/ongoing (short term and long term) impacts due to East Link construction listed by segment.
South Bellevue Segment/Area
Area is approximately 2.2 miles from I-90 to south of Main Street and includes South Bellevue Park-and-Ride (station and garage).
BELLEVUE WAY SOUTHEAST
- Bellevue Way SE turn lane changes: Restoration begins Aug. 24, 2019 to restore the northbound lane and sidewalks on Bellevue Way SE and lasting through spring 2020. In order for the work to be completed, the center lane on Bellevue Way between SE 30th Street and South Bellevue station site will be eliminated. Construction alert and map (08.12.19)
- Northbound traffic needing to access Enatai neighborhood will need to turn left at SE 30th Street or continue north of the "Y" at 112th Ave SE and turn left onto 108th Avenue SE
- SE 30th Street to Bellevue Way SE will be right turn only
- Southbound traffic on Bellevue Way can no longer U-Turn at 112th Avenue SE
- Residents along Bellevue Way SE between SE 30th and 112th Avenue SE can only make right turns in/out of their driveways.
- Parking for Mercer Slough Park will be moved to designated spaces on SE 30th Street
- Bellevue Way SE to I-90 west HOV ramp: Long term closure through May 1, 2020. Construction Alert (05.31.19)
- Bellevue Way SE: Traffic control re-established as 2 lanes northbound into downtown Bellevue (6am to 10am) and 2 lanes southbound to I-90 (2pm to 6pm) starting Jan. 2019. See graphic
- Eastside curb lane closed 5am; work begins at 7am.
- Drivers need to access 112th Ave SE need to be in the farthest right open lane.
- Occasional weekend closures through 2020.
- Sidewalk on Bellevue Way SE between the "Y" at 112th Ave SE and the South Bellevue station is closed.
112th AVENUE SOUTHEAST
- 112th Ave SE between Bellevue Way SE and SE 15th Street: The northbound lanes of 112th Ave SE are closed, with traffic diverted to the two southbound lanes (one lane in each direction will remain open). Sidewalk access will be maintained on the west side of 112th Ave SE between SE 8th and Bellevue Way SE. Expected in mid- to late November, traffic will be diverted (switchover) to the new roadway (over rail). The asphalt paving for the switchover is weather dependent, so the schedule is subject to change. Construction Alert and Map (08.09.2019)
- 112th Avenue SE: As needed, daily lanes closures between Main Street and SE 8th St, Mon.-Fri. 9am to 4pm.
- Sidewalk closure on 112th Avenue Southeast between SE 8th and Bellevue Way SE will shift from the eastside to the west side. One sidewalk will be maintained at all times. People walking are asked to follow the signed detour route, crossing at the signalized intersections located at Southeast 8th and Bellevue Way SE. Construction Alert (05.03.18).
ADDITIONAL ONGOING IMPACTS
- Sound wall construction between 111th Ave SE and 112th Ave SE starts May 14. Grading and construction of slope between the rail guideway and wall, excavation, rebar installation, concrete pour to occur before wall installation. Details and map in Construction Alert (05.17.18)
- Surrey Downs Park access: The north entrance from 112th Avenue SE to Surrey Downs Park and the parking area is permanently closed. The Park reopened June 8, 2019.
- Pilot turn restrictions at SE 16th St/108th Ave and SE 16th St/Bellevue Way extended through duration of light rail construction. Read the details about the pilot program.
- Winters House Protection and Monitoring underway. More information in Construction Alert.(09.06.17)
- SE 15th Street temporarily closed during construction. Workers and visitors needing to access Bellefield Office Park will use 114th Ave SE from SE 8th Street.
- SE 4th Street entrance from 112th Avenue SE permanently closed. City postcard to Surrey Downs and Bellecrest neighbors.
- Winters House closed during construction. The Eastside Heritage Center's archive and research services has been relocated. To access the collection, call 425-450-1109 or email email@example.com
- South Bellevue Park and Ride closed during construction. Commuters are asked not to park within Bellevue neighborhoods.
Central Bellevue Segment/Area
Area includes East Main, Bellevue Downtown, Wilburton and Spring District/120th Stations. The downtown tunnel is located in the area but was contracted separately. Watch time lapse video of construction.
MAIN STREET AND 110TH AVENUE NORTHEAST
- Main St and 110th Ave NE: Both Main Street and 110th Ave. NE will experience lane closures between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., from Thurs., Oct. 17th, through Fri., Oct, 18th, as well as from Mon., Oct. 21st, through Wed., Oct. 23rd. The lane closures are needed to remove monitoring wells once used for the tunnel excavation. See details and map in construction alert (10.10.19)
110TH AVENUE NORTHEAST
- Now Open -- 110th Ave NE between NE 4th and NE 6th streets (by City Hall): The northern portion of 110th Ave NE from the driveway to City Hall to NE 6th Street opened Oct. 21. There is temporary traffic control to discourage unsafe and illegal movement. The City's Traffic Management Center is monitoring traffic via cameras and making adjustments to traffic signals as needed. The northbound curb lane will remain closed so that work on the north tunnel portal and Bellevue Downtown Station can continue.
- For Skyline Tower and City Center buildings, left turns in and out of the garages have been permanently eliminated for safety reasons. Tenants and patrons are encouraged to exit at NE 8th Street from I-405 and turn left (south) on 110th Avenue NE or to exit at NE 4th Street from I-405, turn right (north) on 112th Avenue NE, left (west) on NE 6th Street and left (south) on 110th Avenue NE. See basic route map.
- Southbound 110th Ave NE closed, NE 2nd Place to NE 3rd Place: Closure began April 2018 and will last through 2019. Closure needed for excavation and construction of a tunnel ventilation and access shaft to the main tunnel beneath 110th. A detour will be established for southbound traffic. (Construction alert)
ADDITIONAL ONGOING IMPACTS
- NE 6th Street access to City Hall is permanently closed.
- 114th Ave NE cul-de-sac closure through early 2020; Bicycle detour in place. City handout on NE 2nd Street bike lane detour (07.27.17) Map of new parking created in area (12.21.17)
- Tunnel construction continues. 24/hour, Monday-Saturday operations. South portal located at Main Street/112th Avenue SE; north portal located at 110th Ave NE/NE 6th Street.
North Bellevue Segment/Area (BelRed)
The Bel-Red/130th Station and the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East are located in this area which is approximately one mile from 124th Ave NE to SR520.
120TH AVENUE NE
- 120th Ave NE by the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East (OMF-E) will have nighttime one lane intermittent traffic control starting Mon. Sept 16 and lasting approximately 3 weeks. In effect between the hours of 8pm - 6am. Construction alert and map. (09.10.19)
NE SPRING BOULEVARD
- NE Spring Blvd from 136th Place NE to Bel-Red Road will be one-way eastbound starting as early as Monday, Sept. 30 through the end of October.
- NE Spring Blvd westbound lane closure between 136th Place NE and 137th Place NE, Sept 30 through end of Oct. Closure needed for utility work. Local access and business access will be maintained. Construction alert and map (09.19.19)
- NE Spring Blvd nighttime closures starting Sept. 3rd: NE Spring Blvd between 134th Ave NE and 136th Pl NE will see nightly closures lasting until Sept. 27th. Construction alert and map. (08.26.19)
- NE Spring Blvd one way traffic shifts to north side of roadway starting May 20, 2019. Eastbound traffic on NE Spring Boulevard between 134th Avenue NE and 136th Place NE will continue be maintained.
- NE Spring Blvd all-lane, 24/7 hour closure between 132nd Ave NE and 134th Ave NE through fall 2019. No through traffic allowed. Business access available. Follow detour. Closure needed to conduct deep trench excavation, wall construction and culvert installation.
NE 20TH STREET
- Eastbound lane reduction on NE 20th at 136th Place NE through September 2019.
136TH PLACE NE
- 136th Place NE: One-way traffic through late 2019. Only northbound traffic allowed on 136th (toward NE 20th Street); traffic switch to west side of roadway. No right or left turns onto 136th Place NE from NE 20th. Access to businesses on 136th Place NE available. Closure needed for utility work and light rail infrastructure.
- Construction updates on city transportation improvements in the BelRed area.
Portion of 124th Ave NE closed Sept. 9th through June 2020: 124th Avenue NE between NE12th St/BelRed Rd and Northup Way will be closed. Access to businesses along 124th Ave NE will be maintained. More information and map. (August 2019)
- More information about the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East
Overlake-SR 520 Segment/Area
The Overlake Village and Redmond Technology stations are located in this area and includes approximately 1.8 miles along the south edge of SR520 from 136th Place NE to the Overlake Transit Center.
- Temporary SR520 Bike Trail detour (Overlake Village Station). Trail users need to take bypass around work area. Construction alert and map (10.31.18) 148th Ave NE and eastbound SR520 interchange, nightly detours. Construction alert and map (10.31.18)
- Overlake Transit Center/Pedestrian path closes between SR 520 bus stop at NE 40th St and the transit center entrance at NE 36th St. starting July 2018. Construction alert and map (07.02.18)
- Overlake Transit Center Park and Ride closed May 1, 2017. Commuters are asked not to park within Bellevue neighborhoods.
- Alternate commuter parking available
- Commute planning assistance
- City of Redmond East Link construction information.
Interstate 90 Segment/Area
Area includes 7 miles from International District/Chinatown Station (Seattle) to the east end of the East Channel Bridge. Work is located within the existing center lanes of I-90.
- I-90 at Island Crest Way westbound HOV on-ramp closed Mon. Oct. 21, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. for concrete pour of Mercer Island Station platform. Drivers can use the 76th Ave westbound on ramp. Construction alert (10.18.19)
- Overnight work at eastbound I-90 at Shorewood Drive: Oct. 22 and 23 for installation of traction power substation. Construction alert
Island Crest Way eastbound on-ramp: Tuesday, Oct. 22, 10 p.m. – 5 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23.
Eastbound I-90 two right lanes: Tuesday, Oct. 22, 11 p.m. – 5 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23.
Shorewood Dr. overpass: Tuesday, Oct. 22, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23.
- 80th Ave eastbound HOV on-ramp closed Oct 9-18, 10am to 2pm: Closed daily for installation of electrical conduit and light fixtures. Island Crest Way eastbound on-ramp remains open. Schedule subject to change. Construction alert (10.07.19)
- Rainier Ave South HOV lanes/I-90: long term closure. Starting Dec. 10, 2018 through late 2020. Closure needed for construction of Judkins Park light rail station. Construction alert and map (12.06.18)
- City of Mercer Island East Link construction information
- East Link Extension webpage
- East Link Construction Alerts (subscription)
- East Link Project Updates (for all segments)
- East Link Outreach Team (Specialist assigned to each segment)
City of Bellevue: