East Link light rail construction is underway in south Bellevue, Central Bellevue (Downtown) and North Bellevue (BelRed.) Construction activities will sometimes impact how you access the city. Your patience in planning your commute in advance and your understanding that construction schedules often change are appreciated.
Below are current/ongoing (short term and long term) impacts due to East Link construction listed by segment.
South Bellevue Segment/Area
Area is approximately 2.2 miles from I-90 to south of Main Street and includes South Bellevue Park-and-Ride (station and garage).
BELLEVUE WAY SOUTHEAST
- Bellevue Way SE at 112th Ave SE traffic revision: Restoration began Aug. 24, 2019 to restore the northbound lane and sidewalks on Bellevue Way SE and lasting through spring 2020. In order for the work to be completed, the center lane on Bellevue Way between SE 30th Street and South Bellevue station site will be eliminated. Construction alert and map (08.12.19)
- Northbound traffic needing to access Enatai neighborhood will need to turn left at SE 30th Street or continue north of the "Y" at 112th Ave SE and turn left onto 108th Avenue SE
- SE 30th Street to Bellevue Way SE will be right turn only
- Southbound traffic on Bellevue Way can no longer U-Turn at 112th Avenue SE
- Residents along Bellevue Way SE between SE 30th and 112th Avenue SE can only make right turns in/out of their driveways.
- Parking for Mercer Slough Park will be moved to designated spaces on SE 30th Street
- Bellevue Way SE to I-90 west HOV ramp: Long term closure through May 1, 2020. Construction Alert (05.31.19)
- Bellevue Way SE: Traffic control re-established as 2 lanes northbound into downtown Bellevue (6am to 10am) and 2 lanes southbound to I-90 (2pm to 6pm) starting Jan. 2019. See graphic
- Eastside curb lane closed 5am; work begins at 7am.
- Drivers need to access 112th Ave SE need to be in the farthest right open lane.
- Occasional weekend closures through 2020.
- Sidewalk on Bellevue Way SE between the "Y" at 112th Ave SE and the South Bellevue station is closed.
ADDITIONAL ONGOING IMPACTS
- Sound wall construction between 111th Ave SE and 112th Ave SE starts May 14. Grading and construction of slope between the rail guideway and wall, excavation, rebar installation, concrete pour to occur before wall installation. Details and map in Construction Alert (05.17.18)
- Surrey Downs Park access: The north entrance from 112th Avenue SE to Surrey Downs Park and the parking area is permanently closed. The Park reopened June 8, 2019.
- Pilot turn restrictions at SE 16th St/108th Ave and SE 16th St/Bellevue Way extended through duration of light rail construction. Read the details about the pilot program.
- Winters House Protection and Monitoring underway. More information in Construction Alert.(09.06.17)
- SE 15th Street temporarily closed during construction. Workers and visitors needing to access Bellefield Office Park will use 114th Ave SE from SE 8th Street.
- SE 4th Street entrance from 112th Avenue SE permanently closed. City postcard to Surrey Downs and Bellecrest neighbors.
- Winters House closed during construction. The Eastside Heritage Center's archive and research services has been relocated. To access the collection, call 425-450-1109 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Bellevue Park and Ride closed during construction. Commuters are asked not to park within Bellevue neighborhoods.
Central Bellevue Segment/Area
Area includes East Main, Bellevue Downtown, Wilburton and Spring District/120th Stations. The downtown tunnel is located in the area but was contracted separately. Watch time lapse video of construction.
110TH AVENUE NORTHEAST
- 110th Ave NE between NE 4th and NE 6th streets (by City Hall): The northern portion of 110th Ave NE from the driveway to City Hall to NE 6th Street is open. The northbound curb lane will be closed so that work on the north tunnel portal and Bellevue Downtown Station can continue.
- Southbound 110th Ave NE closed, NE 2nd Place to NE 3rd Place: Closure began April 2018 and will last through 2019. Closure needed for excavation and construction of a tunnel ventilation and access shaft to the main tunnel beneath 110th. A detour will be established for southbound traffic. (Construction alert)
ADDITIONAL ONGOING IMPACTS
- 114th Ave NE cul-de-sac closure through early 2020; Bicycle detour in place. City handout on NE 2nd Street bike lane detour (07.27.17) Map of new parking created in area (12.21.17)
- Tunnel construction continues. 24/hour, Monday-Saturday operations. South portal located at Main Street/112th Avenue SE; north portal located at 110th Ave NE/NE 6th Street.
North Bellevue Segment/Area (BelRed)
The Bel-Red/130th Station and the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East are located in this area which is approximately one mile from 124th Ave NE to SR520.
NE SPRING BOULEVARD
- NE Spring Blvd westbound lane closure between 136th Place NE and 137th Place NE, Ongoing. Closure needed for utility work. Local access and business access will be maintained. Construction alert and map (09.19.19)
136TH PLACE NE
- 136th Place NE from NE Spring Blvd to NE 20th Street closed nightly, Mon. Dec. 16 - Fri. Feb. 28, 8 p.m. - 6 a.m. Closure needed to install track walls.
- 136th Place NE and NE 20th Street intersection, traffic shift to westbound lanes on NE 20th Street, Thurs, Dec. 19 - mid-Jan. 2020. Shift is needed to complete intersection work. Work is weather dependent with contingent start date of Thurs. Dec. 26.
- 136th Place NE: Two-way traffic: Ongoing (with exception of closures noted above). Access to businesses on the west side of 136th Pl NE will be from NE 20th St. Access to businesses on the east side of 136th Place NE will be from NE Spring Blvd. U-turns are permitted at the intersection of 136th Pl NE and NE Spring Blvd. Pedestrian and vehicle crossing 136th Pl NE is prohibited; however, sidewalk/pedestrian paths will be maintained. Construction alert and map (11.13.19)
- More information about the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East
- Construction updates on city transportation improvements in the BelRed area.
Portion of 124th Ave NE closed Sept. 9th through May 2020: 124th Avenue NE between NE12th St/BelRed Rd and Northup Way will be closed. Access to businesses along 124th Ave NE will be maintained. More information and map. (August 2019)
Overlake-SR 520 Segment/Area
The Overlake Village and Redmond Technology stations are located in this area and includes approximately 1.8 miles along the south edge of SR520 from 136th Place NE to the Overlake Transit Center.
- Temporary SR520 Bike Trail detour (Overlake Village Station). Trail users need to take bypass around work area. Construction alert and map (10.31.18) 148th Ave NE and eastbound SR520 interchange, nightly detours. Construction alert and map (10.31.18)
- Overlake Transit Center/Pedestrian path closes between SR 520 bus stop at NE 40th St and the transit center entrance at NE 36th St. starting July 2018. Construction alert and map (07.02.18)
- Overlake Transit Center Park and Ride closed May 1, 2017. Commuters are asked not to park within Bellevue neighborhoods.
- Alternate commuter parking available
- Commute planning assistance
- City of Redmond East Link construction information.
Interstate 90 Segment/Area
Area includes 7 miles from International District/Chinatown Station (Seattle) to the east end of the East Channel Bridge. Work is located within the existing center lanes of I-90.
- Island Crest Way westbound HOV ramp closure, Jan. 3, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Construction alert and map (01.02.20)
- Rainier Ave South HOV lanes/I-90: long term closure. Starting Dec. 10, 2018 through late 2020. Closure needed for construction of Judkins Park light rail station. Construction alert and map (12.06.18)
- City of Mercer Island East Link construction information
- East Link Extension webpage
- East Link Construction Alerts (subscription)
- East Link Project Updates (for all segments)
- East Link Outreach Team (Specialist assigned to each segment)
City of Bellevue: