East Link light rail construction is underway in south Bellevue, Central Bellevue (Downtown) and North Bellevue (BelRed.) Construction activities will sometimes impact how you access the city. Your patience in planning your commute in advance and your understanding that construction schedules often change are appreciated.
Below are current/ongoing (short term and long term) impacts due to East Link construction listed by segment.
South Bellevue Segment/Area
Area is approximately 2.2 miles from I-90 to south of Main Street and includes South Bellevue Park-and-Ride (station and garage).
INTERSTATE 405/INTERSTATE 90
- I-405 to westbound I-90 overnight ramp closures July 6-9: All ramps from I-405 to westbound I-90 will be closed nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Follow detour signs. Work is weather dependent. (Construction Alert)
- I-405 southbound to westbound I-90 ramp (Including HOV)
- I-405 northbound to westbound I-90 ramp (Including HOV)
- Richards Rd/ SE 32nd St.to westbound I-90 ramps
BELLEVUE WAY SOUTHEAST
- Bellevue Way SE restoration; traffic impacts: Portions of the roadway are planned to be paved in summer 2020. Weekend full and partial closures are planned from June through August. The closure area is between the "Y" intersection at Bellevue Way and 112th Ave SE south to I-90. Read details in a mailer.
- Weekend full closure of Bellevue Way SE: Sat. July 11 at 7 a.m. through Sun. July 12 at 9 p.m. Closure is from the "Y" intersection at 112th Ave SE and Bellevue Way SE to I-90. Ramps to and from I-90 will be closed. Detour to I-90 and I-405 via 112th Ave SE and SE 8th Street. Local access to residences on Bellevue Way SE will be maintained. No access to Sweylocken Boat Launch during closure. (Construction Alert)
- Weekday lane restrictions, ongoing, Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Bellevue Way SE from the future light rail station north to the “Y” intersection at 112th Ave SE. One lane in each direction.
ADDITIONAL ONGOING IMPACTS
- Sound wall construction between 111th Ave SE and 112th Ave SE. Grading and construction of slope between the rail guideway and wall, excavation, rebar installation, concrete pour to occur before wall installation. Details and map in Construction Alert (05.17.18)
- Surrey Downs Park access: The north entrance from 112th Avenue SE to Surrey Downs Park and the parking area is permanently closed. The Park reopened June 8, 2019.
- Pilot turn restrictions at SE 16th St/108th Ave and SE 16th St/Bellevue Way extended through duration of light rail construction. Read the details about the pilot program.
- Winters House Protection and Monitoring underway. More information in Construction Alert.(09.06.17)
- SE 15th Street temporarily closed during construction. Workers and visitors needing to access Bellefield Office Park will use 114th Ave SE from SE 8th Street.
- SE 4th Street entrance from 112th Avenue SE permanently closed. City postcard to Surrey Downs and Bellecrest neighbors.
- Winters House closed during construction. The Eastside Heritage Center's archive and research services has been relocated. To access the collection, call 425-450-1109 or email email@example.com
- South Bellevue Park and Ride closed during construction. Commuters are asked not to park within Bellevue neighborhoods.
Central Bellevue Segment/Area
Area includes East Main, Bellevue Downtown, Wilburton and Spring District/120th Stations. The downtown tunnel is located in the area but was contracted separately. Watch time lapse video of construction.
NE 8TH STREET
- NE 8th Street between 116th Ave NE and 120th Ave NE: Westbound and eastbound lane closures starting Mon. July 6 and lasting up to 6 weeks. Two-way traffic will be maintained. Approved work hours Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closures need to build median island. Work is weather dependent. (Construction Alert)
110TH AVENUE NORTHEAST
- Southbound 110th Ave NE closed, NE 2nd Place to NE 3rd Place: Closure ongoing through 2021. Closure needed for excavation and construction of a tunnel ventilation and access shaft to the main tunnel beneath 110th Ave NE. Follow detour southbound traffic. (Construction alert)
ADDITIONAL ONGOING IMPACTS
- Tunnel construction continues. 24/hour, Monday-Saturday operations. South portal located at Main Street/112th Avenue SE; north portal located at 110th Ave NE/NE 6th Street.
North Bellevue Segment/Area (BelRed)
The Bel-Red/130th Station and the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East are located in this area which is approximately one mile from 124th Ave NE to SR520.
136TH PLACE NE
- 136th PL NE and NE Spring Blvd intersection closed: Mon. June 29 through Fri. July 3. 24-hour closure. Closure needed for conduit work.
- 136th Place NE: Two-way traffic (with exception to other closures noted): Ongoing. Access to businesses on the west side of 136th Pl NE will be from NE 20th St. Access to businesses on the east side of 136th Place NE will be from NE Spring Blvd. U-turns are permitted at the intersection of 136th Pl NE and NE Spring Blvd. Pedestrian and vehicle crossing 136th Pl NE is prohibited; however, sidewalk/pedestrian paths will be maintained. Construction alert and map (11.13.19)
- More information about the Operations and Maintenance Facility-East
- Construction updates on city transportation improvements in the BelRed area.
Overlake-SR 520 Segment/Area
The Overlake Village and Redmond Technology stations are located in this area and includes approximately 1.8 miles along the south edge of SR520 from 136th Place NE to the Overlake Transit Center.
- Eastbound SR 520 on- and off- ramps at 148th Ave NE closed, Tues. July 7 and Wed. July 8 (each night) at 10 p.m. through 5 a.m. Follow detour via the NE 40th Street/SR 520 interchange. Closure needed for guardrail installation.
- Temporary SR520 Bike Trail detour (Overlake Village Station). Trail users need to take bypass around work area. Construction alert and map (10.31.18)
- Overlake Transit Center/Pedestrian path closed between SR 520 bus stop at NE 40th St and the transit center entrance at NE 36th St. Construction alert and map (07.02.18)
- Overlake Transit Center Park and Ride closed May 1, 2017. Commuters are asked not to park within Bellevue neighborhoods.
- Alternate commuter parking available
- Commute planning assistance
- City of Redmond East Link construction information.
Interstate 90 Segment/Area
Area includes 7 miles from International District/Chinatown Station (Seattle) to the east end of the East Channel Bridge. Work is located within the existing center lanes of I-90.
- Rainier Ave South HOV lanes/I-90: long term closure. Starting Dec. 10, 2018 through late 2020. Closure needed for construction of Judkins Park light rail station. Construction alert and map (12.06.18)
- City of Mercer Island East Link construction information
- East Link Extension webpage
- East Link Construction Alerts (subscription)
- East Link Project Updates (for all segments)
- East Link Outreach Team (Specialist assigned to each segment)
City of Bellevue: