The Southeast Newport Way project aims is to improve safety for bicyclists and pedestrians by adding a multipurpose path on the north side of the roadway and a bike lane on the south side, along with other improvements, from Somerset Boulevard Southeast to 150th Avenue Southeast.
Construction begins April 13, 2020
Construction is anticipated to begin April 13 and be complete by November. The city has updated the detour plan to include a 24-hour/7-day a week closure of eastbound SE Newport Way and has added more detour routes. The 24/7 closure allows construction of important retaining walls to be completed before the rainy season and also allows the project to be substantially complete several months earlier than planned. Area residents received a project update mailer detailing the closure and detours (translated in Spanish and Traditional Chinese).
Currently, there are no sidewalk or bike lanes along this stretch of Newport Way. People walking and biking must navigate narrow shoulders, with no crosswalks, making it difficult to safely reach destinations such as churches, the community center, library, parks and schools. The planned improvements will make it safer for pedestrians, bicyclists and drivers. Project details:
- Project length is 0.85 mile
- A 10-foot wide, mixed-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists on the north side of the road; a 5-foot-wide bike lane on the south side of the street; and a 10.5-foot wide vehicle travel lane in both the eastbound and the westbound directions
- A 6-foot wide sidewalk on the south side of the street, between 150th Avenue SE and the South Bellevue Community Center
- Nine new retaining walls, replacement of some sections of guardrail, new lighting, and signage
- New drainage infrastructure to meet the city stormwater code, and other utility improvements
- During construction, a detour will be in place for local traffic, construction hours will be limited and flaggers will control work zones.
- April 2020 construction scheduled to begin
- 2018: Project design finalized
- May 2017: Second design outreach open house
- March 2016: First design outreach open house
Current project budget allocation is approximately $11 million (including additional funding for sidewalks)
- Project Update: Eastbound closure, detour revision (April 2020)
- Construction alert (Feb. 2020)
- Lane cross-section diagram (2019)
- Vicinity map (2018)
- Project mailer (2016)