Due to the ongoing impacts of the novel coronavirus, Bellevue Parks & Community Services is not currently hosting volunteer projects. Please check again soon.
Season: Memorial Day to Labor Day, with some trainings during the spring
Job site: Mercer Slough Nature Park
Length of commitment: 4 months
Reports to: Park Rangers
Work Environment: Outdoors
Age: Must be 18 or older
Background check required: Yearly
Canoe Guide Naturalists work in partnership with other trained volunteers and Parks employees to host canoe tours of the Mercer Slough Nature Park (leaving from Enatai Beach Park) on weekend mornings from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Canoe tours stop at points of interest along way, point out the natural features of the park, and offer interpretive narrative on wildlife, wetlands, and local history.
- Gather canoes, PFDs, safety vests, paddles and other equipment used for the trips.
- Provide an orientation about the Bellevue Parks & Community Services Department.
- Provide instruction on paddling techniques and canoe safety.
- Interpret the cultural and natural history of the area.
- Respond appropriately in case of an emergency.
- At least two years experience handling canoes, kayaks or other small non-motorized boats.
- Ability to swim and some experience with water safety and rescue techniques.
- Interest and understanding in wetland ecology, wildlife and cultural history.
- Strong verbal communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to use radio communication equipment.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. overhead.
- Ability to remain calm and handle emergency situations.
Fill out the following forms (include a resume if you wish) and mail them to the address below. If you have questions, please contact 425-452-4195 or Parks_Stewardship@bellevuewa.gov.
- Volunteer Application
- Resume (optional)
- Background Check Authorization Form
- Waiver of Liability
- Volunteer Agreement
- Volunteer Selection Process
Mail application materials to:
Attn: Natural Resource Division Volunteer Program
Lewis Creek Visitor Center
Bellevue Parks & Community Services
PO Box 90012
Bellevue, WA 98009
The City of Bellevue provides volunteer opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference and/or disability.