Days: Saturdays or Sundays
Season: June - September
Job site: Mercer Slough Nature Park
Length of commitment: 6 months
Reports to: Curtis Kukal
Work Environment: Outdoors
Age: Must be 18 or older
Background check required: Yearly
Provide canoe tours of the Mercer Slough Nature Park, from Enatai Beach Park on Saturday mornings during the summer and for other randomly scheduled trips. Canoe guides stop at various point along the way, point out the natural features of the park and offer interpretive narrative on wildlife, wetlands and local history. Specific tasks include:
- Gather canoes, PFDs, safety vests, paddles and other equipment used for the trips.
- Provide an orientation about the Bellevue Parks & Community Services Department.
- Provide instruction on paddling techniques and canoe safety.
- Interpret the cultural and natural history of the area.
- Respond appropriately in case of an emergency.
- Register participants, collect fees and ensure appropriate paperwork is completed.
- At least two years experience handling canoes, kayaks or other small non-motorized boats.
- Ability to swim and some experience with water safety and rescue techniques.
- Interest and understanding in wetland ecology, wildlife and cultural history.
- Strong verbal communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to use radio communication equipment.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. overhead.
- Ability to remain calm and handle emergency situations.
Fill out the following forms (include a resume if you wish) and send them to Curtis Kukal at the mailing address on the upper right of this page. If you have questions, please contact Mr. Kukal by phone (425-452-4195) or email (email@example.com ).
- Volunteer Application
- Resume (optional)
- Background Check Authorization Form
- Waiver of Liability
- Volunteer Agreement
- Selection Process