Commercial building permits cover projects involving site development, construction and renovation of commercial buildings, tenant space construction or remodel, and construction work for multifamily-residential buildings that contain more than two residential units.
We issue the following types of commercial building permits:
- Demolition: Demolition of the whole or part of any permanent structure, including a house, multifamily or commercial structure, garage or storage shed. (BE)
- Detention Vault for Stormwater: Permit for the construction of a stormwater detention structure. (BH)
- Major Commercial Project: Construction of a new commercial or multifamily building or addition, 4,000 square feet or more, which does not require SEPA review or SEPA review has been done under a prior land use approval. (BB)
- Medium Commercial Project: New commercial or multifamily building, addition, pool or spa over 1,000 and less than 4,000 gross square feet. (BM)
- Minor Commercial Project: Additions or structures up to and including 1,000 gross square feet, such as a pool or spa, canopies, porticos, retaining walls, bulkheads, mechanical equipment screening, fences over eight feet, kiosks, ramps, trams, flagpoles, etc. (BW)
- Portable Building Foundation: Commercial construction of a foundation support for a pre-manufactured building. (BW)
- Shoring Permit: Excavation and shoring of property adjacent to the City of Bellevue right of way. (BV)
- Tenant Improvement: Changes to the tenant interior space of a new or existing building. (BZ)
- Tenant Improvement (New use): The initial build out of a new tenant space or change of use of an existing tenant space. (BY)
You will need separate permits for any work that alters or adds to the fire, plumbing, mechanical or electrical systems. Work that adds or replaces fixtures or appliances may also require a separate permit.