In Development Services we review and issue permits for construction projects and land uses. On this page we offer an overview of the permit process and provide information about our online permitting services.
Learn About the Permit Process
All permits fall into two basic categories: Those that require plan review and those that do not require plan review. The permit type depends on the project's scope of work and complexity. Review the types of permits we offer.
Permits that require plan review
- We need to review plans for your project, which means you must submit plans along with your application. You pay a portion of your permit fees when your application and plans are accepted, and the remainder when your permit is issued.
Permits that do not require plan review
- We issue the permit the same day you apply, and you pay for your permit upon issuance. You do not need to submit plans or drawings with your application. We will inspect the work permitted when you request your inspections.
This flowchart shows the basic permit process steps for plan review and no-plan review permits. Before you begin, become familiar with our permit process.
Online Permitting Services
Our permit process is 100% paperless. All permit applications and plans will be submitted online at MyBuildingPermit.
MyBuildingPermit offers 24/7 online permitting services where you can:
- Apply for a permit
- Upload plans
- Check your permit status
- Pay your fees
- Request and cancel inspections.
Learn more from the MyBuildingPermit User Guides and support information.
- Predevelopment Review provides one-time or ongoing detailed assistance and feedback on your development concept prior to submitting a permit application.
- A Preapplication Conference is a free service available only for certain specified applications and is designed to give you early feedback and direction on your development concept. It is a one-time opportunity to meet with us, present a conceptual proposal and get more specific written feedback on it.
Visit the Permit Center
In order to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and minimize infections, the Development Services Permit Center has been closed to walk in customers until further notice. This is a proactive measure to ensure the health, well-being and safety of our customers, community members and employees.
Our permit center is located on the first floor of Bellevue City Hall at:
450 110th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
Building, clearing & grading, fire, land use, transportation and utilities staff are routinely available to answer questions.
Information in the permit center:
- Permit history for a parcel of property
- Permit requirements for different types of work
- Application review timelines
- Submittal requirements for different permits
- Help completing your online permit application
- Development review and inspection fees
- Zoning information
- Public utility locations (water, sewer, and storm)
- Code requirements
- Environmental maps and regulations
- Aerial photographs of your property and the surrounding area
- Self-help area with a computer
No appointment is necessary. Customers are served on a first-come, first-served basis. After you sign in, your wait is usually no more than 15 minutes.