On July 23, 2018, the Department of Ecology approved the City of Bellevue’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) comprehensive update. The updated SMP takes effect August 6, 2018 — 14 days after we received the SMP approval from the DOE.
- DOE Approval Letter
DOE Interested Parties Letter
- Ordinance 6415- Shoreline Element amendment to the Comprehensive Plan, including Shoreline Environments Designation Map and Shoreline Jurisdiction Map
- Ordinance 6416- Bellevue Land Use Code, Title 20 Amendment to the Shoreline District Overlay (Part 20.25E)
- Ordinance 6417- Bellevue Land Use Code, Title 20 Amendment to the Critical Areas Overlay (Part 20.25H)
SMP Documents Sent to Department of Ecology
On June 15, 2018, we transmitted the final Shoreline Master Program update documents to the Department of Ecology. The date-stamped transmittal letter indicates Ecology's receipt of the SMP documents. We are awaiting approval by the Director of the Department of Ecology, which we expect within the next 30 days.
Shoreline Master Program Update with Council
On Monday, May 21, the City Council adopted an update to the city’s Shoreline Master Program. The vote marks the conclusion of a 10-year process and, as part of an agreement with the state Department of Ecology, will allow Bellevue to forgo another state-mandated update for eight years.
SMPs are local land-use policies and regulations that guide use of shorelines throughout the state and are reviewed and approved by the Department of Ecology. The new update includes changes to nonconforming regulations, dock standards and shoreline stabilization.
Bellevue has been working on a comprehensive update to its SMP since 2008. On June 1, 2017, the Department of Ecology conditionally approved the city’s updated version. In January, an agreement in principle was reached on how to address some required changes. Then in April, the Department of Ecology sent a letter to the city encouraging the plan’s adoption. A public hearing was held on May 7.
Public Hearing for Shoreline Master Program Update
On Monday, May 7, 2018, council held a limited public hearing on the periodic review required by the Shoreline Management Act (RCW 90.58.080(4) during their regular study session.
- Public Hearing Notice
- Part 20.25E-Shoreline Master Program Update
- Part 20.25H-CAO Update & Conformance LUCA
- Shoreline Master Program Element
Shoreline Master Program Update and Periodic Review
On Monday, April 16, 2018, staff briefed council on the status of the SMP update.
Washington State's Department of Ecology Conditional Approval of Bellevue's SMP
On June 1, 2017, Washington State's Department of Ecology (Ecology) conditionally approved the City of Bellevue's updated Shoreline Master Program. Ecology's approval letter and supporting documents submitted to the City of Bellevue:
- Conditional Approval Letter
- Attachment A - Findings and Conclusions
- Attachment B - Required Changes
- Attachment C - Recommended Changes
- Attachment D - Responsiveness Summary
City of Bellevue's Shoreline Master Program Submittal to Ecology
On January 31, 2017 the City of Bellevue provided the State Department of Ecology with the required response to public comment on the city’s Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Update. The comments were received during Ecology’s public comment period on the draft SMP that was open from September 30 through October 31, 2016, and during Ecology’s public hearing that was held on October 18, 2016. This table provides a comment summary that was prepared by Ecology staff, and the City’s responses to those comments.
- Approve the program as is or with recommended changes, or
- Send the proposed program back to the City of Bellevue with required changes to meet statutory and rule requirements. Recommended changes may also be included with the required changes.
When Ecology issues their approval (which may include recommended and required changes), the City will engage with the Council and stakeholders to finalize the SMP.
For more information visit: Department of Ecology’s review of Bellevue’s SMP.
Several amendments proposed as part of the limited Critical Areas Ordinance Update affect the same sections of Part 20.25H as the Council's prior Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Conformance Amendments, adopted by the Council with Resolution No. 8922.
The City Council adopted a resolution on May 18, 2015 expressing their intent to adopt new policies and regulations contained within the proposed Shoreline Master Program, including conformance amendments for consistency, and authorizing the submittal of those polices, regulations and conformance amendments to the state Department of Ecology. Staff prepared a transmittal letter, sent to Ecology along with all of the following attachments:
- Resolution No. 8922
- SMP Policies
- SMP Regulations
- SMP Conformance Amendments
- **Updated Draft Critical Areas Code Consistency Ordinance
- Jurisdiction Maps
- Environment Designation Maps
- Inventory and Analysis
- Shoreline Analysis Vol 1_Wetlands
- Shoreline Analysis Vol 2_Habitat
- Cumulative Impacts Analysis
- Shoreline Restoration Plan