Councilmember Jeremy Barksdale was elected to the City Council in November 2019 after serving on and chairing Bellevue's Planning Commission. He supports the city's continued efforts to be inclusive, with a particular interest in affordable housing and transportation options for all. Jeremy also wants to ensure small businesses can launch in Bellevue.
He represents Bellevue on the King County Flood Control District Advisory Committee and King County Safe Energy Leadership Alliance. He is council liaison to the Fire Pension Board, Planning Commission, Probation Advisory Board and Youth Link Board.
A user-experience researcher for Unity, a company in downtown Bellevue that develops a platform for building games and extended reality environments, Jeremy has worked in the tech industry for much of his career. He uses his skills to promote community engagement and improvements in the city's services.
Jeremy was appointed to the Planning Commission in 2015. He also co-chaired the Wilburton Commercial Area Citizen Advisory Committee for the Grand Connection visioning process. He graduated from Leadership Eastside’s leadership enrichment program in 2019.
He earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science and a master’s in Public Administration from Virginia Tech. Jeremy earned a bachelor's degree in Broadcast Production with a minor in Business Administration, and a master of science degree in Computer Science with a concentration in software engineering from North Carolina A&T State University.
Jeremy’s personal interests include volunteering in the community, playing musical instruments, singing, reading, hiking and biking. He lives in south Bellevue.
Council Assignments and Appointments
- King County Flood Control District Advisory Committee
- King County Safe Energy Leadership Alliance
- King County Cities Climate Collaboration
- Sound Cities Association Public Issues Committee Alternate
- Cascade Water Alliance Board of Directors
- Cascade Water Alliance Finance and Management Committee
- Cascade Water Alliance Resource Management Committee
- Fire Pension Board Liaison
- Probation Advisory Board Liaison
- Youth Link Board Liaison
Past Assignment and Appointments
- King County Regional Law, Safety and Justice Committee
- Planning Commission Liaison
- Special Events Committee Liaison
- Cascade Water Alliance Public Affairs Committee
- Puget Sound Regional Council Economic Development District Board of Directors Alternate
- Puget Sound Regional Council Executive Board Alternate
- Puget Sound Regional Council Growth Management Policy Board Alternate
- Planning Commission, 2015-2019
- Co-chair, Wilburton Commercial Area Citizen Advisory Committee
- Board, Fuse Washington
- Board, Leadership Eastside
- Unity Technologies, 2018-Present
- Microsoft, 2013-2018
- Booz Allen Hamilton, 2005-2007
- Virginia Tech, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Computer Science
- Virginia Tech, Master of Public Administration
- North Carolina A & T State University, Master of Science, Computer Science
- North Carolina A & T State University, Bachelor of Arts, Broadcast Production