The Arts Commission meets on the first Tuesday of each month at City Hall, room 1E-109. There are occasional changes to this schedule. Meeting dates, times and topics are available on the agendas. Sign up for E-Mail Alerts there to receive e-mails or texts about upcoming meetings.
Currently Working on:
- Bellwether 2012: reGeneration
- Bridle Trails Neighborhood Public Art Project
- Newport Hills/Lake Heights Neighborhood Public Art Project
- Addition of five new Topos art elements to Downtown Wayfinding kiosks
- Cultural Compass limited update
The Arts Commission acts in an advisory capacity to the City Council. It may hold public meetings and make such studies, analyses and reports as requested by the City Council and may perform the following functions:
- Inform the City Council in matters of arts
- Serve as a clearinghouse for concerns and ideas about arts
- Enlarge the art consciousness of Bellevue
- Encourage multi-age working, sharing, learning and teaching in the arts
- Encourage and recognize local artists
- Explore financing for acquisitions related to the arts
- Establish a long-range plan for the development and operation of a cultural center
- Make recommendations as requested by the City Council
- Review the suitability of art works intended as gifts to the City.
The Commission's work program is based on implementing the Cultural Compass, the city's plan for developing arts and culture in our community. Major ongoing programs include the Public Art Program for commissioning public art for the community, and Eastside Arts Partnerships and Special Projects funding providing direct support to artists and arts organizations serving Bellevue.
Members: The Arts Commission is comprised of seven Bellevue residents appointed by the mayor with the concurrence of the City Council. The terms are four years and expire on May 31 of the last year of the term. No one can serve more than two consecutive full terms. If a commissioner is appointed to fill a partial term of less than two years, that commissioner is eligible to serve for an additional two full terms.
- Bill Ptacek, Chair (second term ends 2012)
- Valentina Kiselev, Vice Chair (second term ends 2012)
- Betina Finley (second term ends 2012)
- Trudi Jackson (first term ends 2015)
- Kris Liljeblad (first term ends 2015)
- Brad Smith (first term ends 2013)
- Genevieve Tremblay (second term ends 2014)
Meetings: First Tuesday, 4 p.m., City Hall, 1E-109