Well KEPT Program
Hours: 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Season: Summer, July-August
Job site: Lewis Creek Park
Length of commitment: 2 months
Reports to: Curtis Kukal
Work environment: Outdoors
Age: Must be 14-18 or older
Training provided: Yes
Background check required: Yes
Well-KEPT (Kids Environmental Project Training) is a summer youth employment program offered through the Natural Resource Division of the Parks & Community Services Department. The program is designed to provide Bellevue youth with education, job skills, and career development training in the field of park resource management. Work focuses on parkland renovation and maintenance; projects may include forest enhancement, wetland restoration, and trail construction. The Well KEPT Program combines on-the-job work experience, environmental education, and career development training to instill strong self-esteem, good work habits, and sound environmental ethics.
*This program takes place each summer. Students must be returning to school the following fall in order to qualify.
• Must be between 14 and 18 years of age on June 30.
• Must be a student enrolled in middle or high school.
• Must reside in Bellevue. Youth living outside Bellevue will be considered only if space is available.
• Enthusiasm and desire to work outdoors preferred.
• Interest in learning about park resource management activities beneficial.
• Must be able to work as a team member to accomplish a common goal.
• The position is intended to be a learning experience; therefore no prior experience is required. Past Well KEPT Trainees will be considered only if space is available.
• Criminal background check required on all applicants.
• The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work involves walking, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• The employee may be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 40 pounds.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
• Work may periodically require the employee to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl.
• Employee must be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions.
Definition of a Student Intern
• Must be enrolled in a bona fide education program. Full time employees taking evening classes, those enrolled in one course, or those going to school periodically are not considered student interns.
• During the school year must be scheduled to work 20 hours or fewer per week.
• During special situations (i.e. specific internship programs through school) or during school breaks, can be scheduled to work more than 20 hours, up to full time, if appropriate.
• Must be terminated as a student intern when no longer associated with an education program.
• At-will for the duration of the student intern status.
Please sign up here if you would like to receive more information about the Well-K.E.P.T. program during our recruitment for 2016's program, to occur in mid-spring 2016.
The City of Bellevue provides volunteer opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual preference and/or disability.