Possible Code Violations
If you know of a possible code violation in Bellevue, contact the Development Services Department at 425-452-4570. You can also file an online code compliance complaint.
Code Compliance officers respond to your concerns about:
- Litter on Private Property: Dumpsters overflowing with garbage; illegal dumping of garbage.
- Construction Codes: Construction, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and clearing and grading work without permits; abandoned and dangerous buildings.
- Duplexes/Boarding Houses: Single-family residences used as illegal duplexes or for independent room rentals.
- Fair Housing: Housing and reasonable accommodations denied based on discrimination, including but not limited to race, family status and financial assistance (Section 8 housing vouchers and certificates).
- Home Businesses: Businesses conducted in a residence without a Home Occupation permit (exemptions are home businesses without outside employees and no exterior indications of business being conducted).
- Junk Vehicles: Vehicles on private property that are inoperable (i.e., flat tire, extensive damage, missing major parts).
- Land Use Violations: Violations of zoning and development regulations (i.e., business located in a non-permitted zone, intrusions into required setbacks, keeping of non-permitted animals on property).
- Noise: Stationary noise from heat pumps, air conditioners, etc. Note: Construction noise violations are enforced by the Bellevue Police Department.
- Nuisances: Appliances, debris and junk on private property.
- Recreational Vehicles, Boats, Trailers: Violations of storage restrictions on residential property.
- Signs: All signs must be approved by the Development Services Department. Temporary and A-board signs are permitted only in special circumstances for a limited period of time. Sign violations are subject to a mandatory monetary penalty.
Mediation can be a good alternative to conflicts with neighbors over code violations.