New map of public art downtown!
Bellevue's Public Art Program was established in 1979. Today about 57 works are in the collection, with more on the way. The Arts Commission serves as the Public Art Program's key advisor, guiding the city as it commissions a wide variety of art and disperses it throughout the community. The program:
- commissions and maintains artwork designed especially for the community;
- presents the biennial sculpture and installation exhibition, Bellwether (next exhibition - 2014);
- works with other City programs to include public art in planning documents and design guidelines; and
- provides information about public art in Bellevue.
1. Use aublic art to define/enhance an urban walkway from City Hall to the waterfront
2. Facilitate private investment in public art
3. Engage neighborhoods in commissioning public art
Public Art Projects Underway:
- Bridle Trails Public Art Project -- Construction. Coodination underway.
- Newport Hills/Lake Heights Neighborhood Public Art Project -- Design approved. Construction contract in development.
ArtMap highlights downtown public art
Downtown Bellevue boasts more than 120 works of public art, both indoors and outdoors. Now, people interested in seeing them have "ArtMap," a new guide that graphically displays how art has become ingrained in the character of downtown.
ArtMaps are free and available on the first floor of City Hall and soon at other downtown locations. You can also contact the Bellevue Arts Program (contact info at the right) to have a copy mailed.
For downloading, we have a printer-friendly version of the whole map in black and white. For a 1-2 page section including map and listings for just a part of downtown, try this version, and print out only the pages you need.
See any work we missed? Let us know! Contact us using the information on the right.
In the future, watch for maps of public art in the rest of the city and for an interactive mobile art map powered by STQRY.
Recently Completed Work:
Bellwether 2012: reGeneration
This year's exhibition featured 44 artworks and installations by 39 artists from teh US and Canada. Check out the Arts Program Facebook page for pictures.
Topos: art elements for Downtown Wayfinding Kiosks
One of nine completed kiosks in downtown Bellevue
Map of Topos kiosks locations
Coming in 2013:
Storefronts Bellevue! Watch this site for more information.