The Bellevue Rotary Club approached the city, seeking a project to benefit the community and to celebrate the club's 50th anniversary. Inspiration Playground at Bellevue Downtown Park is that project. The Rotary Club is making a three-year, $250,000 contribution and leading a community-wide fundraising campaign to secure the funding needed to build Inspiration Playground, estimated to cost $1.5 million to $3.5 million.
PDF of aerial photo
The existing playground, located in the southwest corner of the 22-acre park, is approximately 8,500 square feet (0.2 acre) in size, and includes an adjacent parking lot and restroom. Inspiration Playground will expand the existing play area to approximately 1.5 acres.
The expanded playground will include new interactive features that engage the senses, create inclusiveness and accommodate children of all abilities and their caregivers. The new playground's design will work to:
- Retain the popularity of the existing playground while expanding its footprint to encourage a broader and more inclusive ranges of users;
- Provide activities that are fun and challenging, that support the physical, educational and social development of the individual, and that consider sight, sound, scent and touch; and
- Respect the future plans for the Downtown Park through the use of existing site features and topography, consistent with the Council-adopted Downtown Park Master Plan.
PDF of Inspiration Playground Plan
Community Feedback and Events:
- May 16, 2012 - Community and stakeholder outreach meeting
- September 17, 2012 - City Council and Bellevue Rotary approved the partnership.
- September 29, 2012 - A "Play for All Expo" was held in the Downtown Park to share the Inspiration Playground concept with the community, and to celebrate and learn about community support programs for people living with disabilities in fun and interactive ways.
- February 13, 2013 - Community and stakeholder outreach meeting
- May 11, 2013 - Play for All - Bellevue Rotary Foundation Dinner and Auction: Benefitting the Inspiration Playground and Bellevue Rotary Foundation.
- February 12, 2014 - Community and Stakeholder Final Design Meeting
- September 9, 2014 - Lunch in Downtown Park
- March 26, 2015 - Downtown Park Projects Open House at City Hall
The Inspiration Playground construction timeline depends largely on the success of the fundraising campaign, which may take up to three years. The playground expansion design is underway. Potential phasing opportunities are being identified so that design, permitting and construction can remain commensurate with fundraising as milestones are achieved. The Bellevue Rotary Club is working to raise funds for this exciting playground expansion.
Interested in following the development of this project, attending future meetings or participating in events? Please sign up for the E-Alert at the top of this web page.
The Bellevue Rotary and the Inspiration Playground websites offer more information, including how to contribute to the project.
Bellevue welcomes your input about this project at any time.