2015 Permit Fees- $110.12
Permits from the Fire Department are required for new construction or remodeling that involves fire and/or life-safety systems and for a broad range of activities that involve flammable or hazardous materials. (In certain locations and buildings, it may be necessary to have a secured key "Knox" box installed on the exterior of your building. Knox box details are on the Forms page.)
A. Construction/Tenant Improvement Permits
Permits are required for remodeling and new construction that involves the alteration or modification of fire prevention, detection and alarm systems, including the addition, redesign, relocation and alteration or removal of:
- Fire alarm systems
- Fire sprinkler systems
- Fixed fire suppression systems(including hood and duct and FM 200-type systems)
To obtain a construction/tenant improvement permit, go to Development Services.
B. Operational Permits - Permit Applications
Permits are required for activities that involve flammable or hazardous materials or may involve some fire hazard. The International Fire Code Table 105 offers a complete list of "permitable" activities in Bellevue. There are two kinds of operational permits -- temporary and until-revoked.
- Temporary Permits – Temporary operational permits allow applicants to conduct operations or businesses for prescribed periods of time. The permit will indicate the specific dates when the hazard or condition will be in effect. The Bellevue fire marshal may grant an extension of the permit time period upon presentation by the permittee of a satisfactory reason for failure to start or complete the work or activity authorized by the permit within the required time period of the permit.
- Until-Revoked Permits – Until-revoked permits allow applicants to conduct operations or businesses for an undetermined period of time, provided the conditions of the permit are met. The specific date will be listed on the permit indicating when the hazard or condition commences. The permit shall extend for a continuous period of time upon demonstration by the permittee of a satisfactory use of the permitted condition or hazard. Until-revoked permits can be renewed annually.
To obtain an operational permit, you can contact the Fire Prevention Division (see contact information in the right column of this page). You can also print and complete the permit application and submit that to the Fire Prevention Division at City Hall, 450 110th Ave. NE, Bellevue, WA 98009.
A fee of $110.12 will be charged for each operational permit. When more than one permit is required for the same location, consolidation into a single permit is acceptable provided that each provision is listed on the permit. Information, including the name and address of person to be billed, location of the permitted activity and type of permit shall be included as part of the billing information.
- Renewal Fee for Until-Revoted Permits: The permit fee is annual for until-revoked operational permits, due at the beginning of the following year from the date of permit issuance. A list of all new permits issued during the previous year as well as existing until-revoked permits shall be forwarded to the Finance Department for billing.
- Temporary permit fees: shall be billed immediately upon issuance of the permitted activity.
- Exceptions: Nonprofit organizations, governments, civic clubs and organizations and residences are exempt from permit fees. Permit fees are not required for candles in a place of assembly nor for parade floats.