Hundreds of artists will be in Bellevue this weekend for annual arts fairs, showing their work at colorful booths at Bellevue Square and along Northeast Sixth Street. Visitors are urged to take buses downtown to minimize disruptions caused by big crowds and street closures.
For years, more than 300,000 people have been coming to Bellevue the last weekend in July for the Bellevue Arts Museum artsfair (at Bellevue Square), the Sixth Street Fair (at Sixth and 106th Avenue) and the Bellevue Festival of Arts (at Cost Plus World Market, 10300 NE Eighth St.).
Altogether, the work of 665 artists, including sculpture, jewelry, pottery, textiles, glasswork, painting, photography -- virtually all arts and crafts media imaginable -- will be on display and for sale. Juries selected the art to be presented at all three fairs. The "kidsfair," associated with the BAM artsfair, features hands-on art activities, including bubbles, sock puppets and tie-dye. Food and live music will be available at the fairs.
The fairs take place July 24-26. The artsfair runs 9:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. The other two fairs are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
Each day King County Metro buses will take visitors downtown from four area Park & Ride locations: South Bellevue (2700 Bellevue Way SE), Eastgate (14200 SE Eastgate Way), South Kirkland (10610 NE 38th Pl.) and Kingsgate (1300 116th Way NE). Several Metro bus routes have been rerouted as a result of festival street closures. For the latest information check Metro Transit's list of reroutes and service exceptions. For other travel options and tips for gettng around, visit Choose Your Way Bellevue.
Several downtown streets will be closed before and during the arts festival and drivers should expect congestion. Street closures, with approximate times, include:
- 100th Avenue Northeast (southbound lanes only), between Northeast Eighth Street and Northeast 10th Street, will be closed from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, July 23, and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, July 26.
- 102nd Avenue Northeast, between Northeast Eighth Street and Northeast 10th Street, will be closed from 8 a.m. Friday, July 24, to 6 p.m. Sunday, July 26.
- 106th Avenue Northeast, between Northeast Fourth and Northeast Eighth streets, will be closed from 5 p.m. Thursday, July 23, to 10 p.m. Sunday, July 26.
- Northeast Sixth Street, between Bellevue Way and 106th Avenue Northeast, will be closed from 5 p.m. Thursday, July 23, to 10 p.m. Sunday, July 26.
- Northeast 10th Street (westbound lanes only), between 106th Avenue Northeast and 108th Avenue Northeast, will be closed from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, July 23, and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday, July 26.
Return to News Release Index