During the warm weather, many people will be heading to the parks, beaches, and trail heads for exercise and fun. In an effort to prevent car prowls remember to lock your cars, close your windows and don’t leave any valuables in your car. Take the easy crime of opportunity away from these thieves!
The police need your help in preventing these prowls. From Jan to July of 2009, there were 934 car prowls compared to 919 during that same period this year. Breaking a window takes less than 2 seconds and stealing several items takes under a minute. So, they are in and out in less than a minute. Let’s work together do decrease the prowls in our city by following the Safety tips:
Safety and Crime Prevention Tips:
• Make sure and lock your car doors and remove any valuable items from the vehicle or from eyesight.
• Parking your vehicle in a locked garage is best. Do not leave your car keys in the vehicle, even when parked in a garage. And don’t forget to close your garage door!
• If you see a crime occurring, be a good witness and write down descriptions of involved suspects, vehicles leaving the scene, the license plates and the direction of travel of the vehicle. Stay on the phone with 911.
• You cannot stop the entrance method, (breaking glass, prying a lock…) but you can make your vehicle less appealing by not storing anything of value inside.
• Park in well travelled areas.
• Park in well lit areas.
• Areas of concern are shopping centers, parks, trailheads, and park and rides. But you should always take precautions anywhere you park.
• Do not arrive to parking areas and then place your valuables in the trunk while others could be watching. You should place your valuables in the trunk prior to arriving at the parking area.
• Do not store your garage door opener in the car (garage door opener is a key to your home).
• Do not store electronics in your car (i.e., Laptop, GPS...).
• Wipe the suction cup mark off the windshield. That’s a good indicator that you are storing electronic devices in your car.
• If you have an alarm, use it.
• The emptier the car looks, the better.
• Copy down all serial numbers of electronics that you own for home and auto. Without a serial number we cannot track the item.
• Joggers- do not store your wallet/ purse in your car. Leave that stuff at home and just take the basics like your driver’s license and some money or credit card.
• Catalytic converters are being stolen from high ground clearance vehicles. Refer to the attached URL for more information.
Return to News Release Index