Kelsey Creek Equine Volunteers (Returning)
Participants can register online at myparksandrecreation.com. Registration will begin in mid-March.
Limit - one session per participant for either the Equine, Farm or Art summer volunteer program. Please choose only one volunteer program per participant.
Number of Positions: Varies
Days: Monday through Thursday
Hours: 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Department: Parks & Community Services
Season: Summer 2016
Job site: Kelsey Creek Farm Park, 410 130th Place SE
Length of commitment: Must be able to attend the entire two-week session.
Training (required): Saturday, June 11 from 10 a.m. to noon
Position reports to: Pam Myers
Work environment: Farm/Outdoors
Criminal Background Check required: Yes (this will require a Social Security number to process).
Fee: $15/resident; $18/non-resident
Please see flyer for dates and program numbers.
- Volunteers facilitate the partnership between student and horse. They are responsible for ensuring the camper has a fun, safe, learning experience.
- Volunteers talk to and involve the students, making their class experience fun!
- Volunteers assist with the set-up and take down of pony classes, trail course, and crafts.
- Volunteers complete assigned jobs and tasks promptly and enthusiastically.
- Volunteers are teachers and students! They improve their own skills and abilities by asking questions and actively participating in class and training. They share their knowledge and help others improve their equine partnership.
- Must have volunteered in the equine program in the past.
- Must attend training orientation on Saturday, June 11, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Have an interest in horse care and farm activities.
- Energy and ability to deal with the physical challenges of an equine program.
- Capability to multi-task.
- Ability to communicate and work well with others.
- Willingness to work hard.
- Ability to learn new tasks and information.
- Tolerance to work in all sorts of weather.
• Learn techniques of "natural horsemanship."
• Learn about care and management of horses and the daily activities on a working farm.
• Preparation for future employment
• Education about the community and Kelsey Creek Farm
• Sense of responsibility
• School credit for community service
All volunteers are required to wear:
- A volunteer T-shirt (will be provided)
- Proper attire for farm environment
- Closed-toed shoes; no sandals
Registration is required. Visit www.MyParksandRecreation.com , call 425-452-7688, or email firstname.lastname@example.org .